R12 To R134a Conversion Problems

robinlow

I have a 1991 Lexus LS 400 that I would like to convert to r134a, but I have a bit of an issue. I had a mechanic add 134a after vacuuming the system. No other parts were changed except adding some fittings to the valves of the high and low lines. The compressor started making a noise within a couple minutes after adding the 134a, but the A/C was cool. I drove the car the next day with the AC on and the A/C started blowing hot after about 1 hour.

The A/C light on the dash now flashes slowly if I try to turn it on, but the compressor never kicks in. I would like to convert the system, but need to know what to do from this point. Do I just need to change the drier and evacuate the system and recharge? Or is my compressor dead?

Pls advice

Thanks

compressor oil for r134 and r12 are different. you have to put new oil b4 putting r 134 i think. at least this is what i had to do on my legend. also you have to make sure there is nothing left in the system after vaccoming, if there is some condensation it will freeze and clog the system and you will have to wait till it unfreezes to redo it. its a complicated process. you should go to ur mechanic and complain thats for sure!

Changing from R12 to R134 is not just swapping out the adaptors. You need to get most of the oil out. Do you have a leak in your system? What is the high and low side reading? Did the guy ever fix your leak when converting to R134.

JPI

Changing from R12 to R134 is not just swapping out the adaptors. You need to get most of the oil out. Do you have a leak in your system? What is the high and low side reading? Did the guy ever fix your leak when converting to R134.

JPI

The R12 connectors are leaking. After swapping in the R134 connectors the leaking stopped. He also tried to get most of the oil out too.

My Compressor is not working now. should I get a new compressor?

Anything else I should get to replace my AC?

Robin

You have ruined the compressor by putting the R134A in without purging the old mineral oil that was used with the R12 freon. The R 134A uses synthetic oil and the oils are not compatible. The blinking light means that your compressor has now seized up and has probably pumped a lot of metal filings and debris into your a/c gas system. At this point you need a new compressor, a new receiver drier, you need to completely purge and flush your system to get rid of the old mineral oil that gets trapped in the evaporator, the condensor and the lines of the system. You also should replace all of the "O" rings in the system since the "O" rings in a R134A system are made of a different composition from the R12 "O" rings. You would be well advised to take your car to an a/c professional to repair the damage and get the system converted the right way.