Lost only Key/Fob

pll4

My daughter owns a 2001 Lexus RX300 and just lost her key.  It's one with a transponder chip (I believe) and the fob part is at the top of the key.  We called several dealers and they said without a spare they would have to replace the computer system on the car and that we would be looking at between $3000 and $5000!  The car is only worth about $4500 (more to us because we know it and it's reliable). I also called many auto locksmiths that 1st said no problem but when I kept drilling the, realized they couldn't do it. So.... I will have to get her great running car towed to the junk yard if I cant find any way of getting around this.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

This ad looks like the company's locksmiths can solve any lost key scenario.

Perhaps you can call them to see if they can provide the "how". I know they are nowhere near you but it may be beneficial for you to see if in fact there is a way.

Car Keys Made In San Diego County - SD Locksmith (sd-locksmith.com)

I suggest calling Sewell Lexus in Dallas.  I’ve had a couple broken RX keys replaced there using aftermarket key blanks, saving lots over “official” Lexus key parts. In your case, if Lexus has your credentials on file as owning the car, Sewell MAY be able to provide a new key from scratch, or at least offer reasonable alternatives. 

I have their number as (214) 352-8100.  You might start with “ one of your customers said you may be able to help me …”. 🤨.  Good luck, and post your results back here please.

• Thanks 1

For reference, I contacted Sewell Lexus in Dallas.  To create new keys from scratch, the car has to be physically present.  Proof of ownership is obviously required.  If the dealership has the necessary equipment (not all do), they would clear and re-flash the ECU (brain).  That essentially removes all knowledge of any prior keys from the car, then they program-in the new key(s).  Total cost was quoted at $500 with a new key.   Sewell Dallas is typically reasonable, but not all dealerships are.

Being in Wisconsin, towing the car to Dallas isn’t feasible, so I suggest calling the Lexus dealers in your area one-by-one and ask if they are able to reflash the ECU and create a new key for you, and at what cost.  There may also be independent repair shops that focus on Lexus, so they may be an option as well IF they have the necessary re-flashing equipment. 

Note that I’m not an expert, so hopefully I described the process appropriately.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1