Oil Change Interval

PDT

The Toyota dealership is saying the oil on my 2001 LS430 only needs to be changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first. They said the same for my 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited. What's driven the change and do you still change the oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles on your Lexus. They do not use synthetic oil. Thanks.

As long as you are not operating very short distances(ie: only a few miles per trip and not thoroughly warming up the engine), then the dealership is

giving you correct information. If you only make short trips, then change it every 3k. Being in Pensacola, this is likely not the case.

I change my oil every 5k (or 6 months) and use a new Toyota filter each change.

Directly from my 1999 Owners Manual Supplement:

"OIL CHANGE INTERVALS - The maintenance schedule log book has been designed to provide you with the flexibility to allow either 5,000 or 7,500 mile oil change intervals depending on your circumstances.

Use 5,000 mile oil change intervals to help ensure proper engine lubrication under most driving conditions or if you primarily operate your Lexus under the "special operating conditions" described on page 70.

Use 7,500 mile oil change intervals if you primarily operate your Lexus under light, non commercial duty for distances greater than 5 miles in temperate climates (above freezing and below 90)."

No offense to Landar or anyone else who prescribes 3,000 mile oil change intervals, but personally for me that level of frequency is a waste of resources and dollars unless I have a specific problem with sludging, etc. According to Lexus, the proper interval is 5,000 miles, with the ability to stretch it to 7,500 miles when the majority of driving is longer trips in locations that are not exceptionally hot nor cold.

If you have a really difficult time deciding the proper oil change interval for your specific situation, get a UOA (used oil analysis) from a reputable outfit like Blackstone Labs. That will take the guesswork out of it.

I was hoping to just generalize on this subject. It has been beat to death in other posts.

The issue I have with the Toyota recommended interval is that it has no time dimension.

As a mechanical engineer once pointed out to me: "Oil is cheap, engines are not".

Better to err on the conservative side.

How much does an oil analysis cost?

Oil analysis for my boat engines was $30.00 US a pop. Of course they hold 28 quarts each. Changing the oil in a Lexus is about.......$30.00......

I go every 6 months or 8,000 Km's (5,000 miles) for my 2005 ES 330 (synthetic naturally).....I personally think the 3 month, 3,000 mile oil change went the way of the dodo long ago personally.

:cheers:

I am not suggesting that everyone perform a used oil analysis. If you are comfortable with your interval and your car is performing well, great. If you either doubt the recommended interval that Lexus provides, or for other reasons the decision of your oil change interval keeps you up at night, then get your used oil analyzed so that you know exactly how your oil is performing at specific intervals, thereby removing the guesswork from the equation. A basic used oil analysis at Blackstone Laboratories runs $22.50.

I must admit, it amuses me that people from their positions as "vehicle drivers" assume that they can out-engineer professional engineers on things like oil grades, oil selection and change intervals.

Seems to me that you just can't go wrong following the instructions provided by the folks who built your luxury vehicle to begin with.

:pirate:

I must admit, it amuses me that people from their positions as "vehicle drivers" assume that they can out-engineer professional engineers on things like oil grades, oil selection and change intervals.

Seems to me that you just can't go wrong following the instructions provided by the folks who built your luxury vehicle to begin with.

:pirate:

Exactly....and Lexus instructs folks to go 6 months or 5,000 miles between oil changes which alot of folks follow. ;) If they suggest this for their vehicle line up (including their Flagship) that works for me.

I think across the pond....their oil change intervals in Europe are even much longer.

:cheers: