2008 Es350 Traction Control

Ras1010

I drove our new ES350 in snow for the first time last night. I got it stuck at the end of our street in snow that was a few inches deep. This car was almost impossible to rock back and forth as the traction control would stop the wheels from spinning.

I took a look at the manual and it says nothing about being able to turn off the traction control.

Does anyone know if this can be done? Otherwise this car is almost useless in snow.

I'm really wishing I had gone for the RX350 now instead.

Did turning off VSC not also turn off the Traction Control? I think its been quite a few years since there was a separate TRAC off button on Lexus cars. VSC and TRAC are now linked. Is there a "Snow" setting on your transmission? The "Snow" setting on my LS makes the car start out in 2nd or 3rd gear and restricts the throttle.

Traction control is no substitute for snow tires. My wife's FWD Camry has traction control and is equipped with all season tires and it has far less traction in deep snow than my LS with heavy duty Blizzak snow tires.

There's no "Winter" mode but by getting the transmission out of D)rive and into S)hift you can start in 3rd gear. Having said that, the previous post is dead on in stating that there is no substitute for winter tires. I have Michelin X-Ice on my ES and they're great.

i had the exact same problem. The ES is aweful in the snow. i was getting stuck and passed by everyone. I will get winter tires now but i dont think thats is going to completely solve the problem. tires need to chew through some of that snow to get grip, but if the car doesn't let you, you sit there. TRAC needs to be shut off in some situations, we just have to figure out how to do it or this car is truely useless in snow. I am not talking even alot of snow either. i looked in the manual to see if pulling the TRAC fuse would do it but its linked to several other systems, so i dont think thats a good idea.

if anyone can help with what to do that would be great.

• 1 month later...

yes, there is a way to turn off your traction control on the es...its not a physical switch so you have to do a pedal dance.

When using the parking brake and brake pedal:

1) Check that the Ignition is off and the shift lever position is at P.

2) Start the engine after turning the Ignition to the ON position.

3) Perform the following steps 4 to 8 within 30 seconds after engine start:

4) Turn the parking brake switch on.

5) Depress and release the brake pedal twice.

6) Turn the parking brake switch on and off twice while depressing the brake pedal.

7) Depress and release the brake pedal twice while the parking brake switch is on.

Notice: Steps 6 and 7 should be performed within 15 seconds each.

8) Check that the VSC warning light and slip indicator are turned on.

If they are not turned on, start over from step 1.

9) The brake control system will return to the normal mode by turning the Ignition to the ON position from off

oh here's the lite i got it from!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es350-foru...y-sultanaa.html

i bought a good set of Michelin Alpine tires and problem solved. i havent been stuck since and I live in southern Ontario (snow hell) i was in shock at what snow tires did. Mind you it set me back $1200.00 with tax but i am traveling faster and safer. Its icey today and not even the ice is stopping me. Snow tires still slide, so watch your speed, but traction is now a non issue.