Exhaust Leak And Noise From Egr Pipe?

STALIN

Hi all from Moscow ! :cheers:

My car Lexus LS400 95` (UCF20 from Europe). I have exhaust leak and noise when depressed accelerator in the rear side of engine. Exhaust manifold are ok! Is there crank of EGR pipe?

Help, how remove EGR pipe? I dont have repair manual for UCF20 generation, but have MITCHEL and ALLDATA, however has not found about EGR pipe anything :(

Thanks!

Main point how it to remove? How to reach to a place of its attachment from above?
You can reach the point where the EGR pipe attaches to the exhaust manifold from underneath the car. Put your car up on ramps and slide under the car just behind the front passenger's side tire (I don't know what side the steering wheel is on in Russia, so if you are standing at the front bumper, it's the left side.). After the car has cooled off, reach up towards the manifold and you can feel the EGR pipe. I was able to remove mine with a combination wrench. I believe you have to remove the heater control valve (and maybe some other parts) to unbolt the other end of the EGR pipe. We don't do emission testing here, so I just capped mine off at the exhaust manifold to make the exhaust noise stop, and it worked beautifully (which is also posted on youtube).

It didn't affect my mpg at all. Basically, all that I did was cap a hole in my exhaust manifold. The egr system still worked; it just sucked in the warm air that was in between the firewall and engine (which it had been doing for some time since my egr tube had cracked completely in to two pieces.).

It didn't affect my mpg at all. Basically, all that I did was cap a hole in my exhaust manifold. The egr system still worked; it just sucked in the warm air that was in between the firewall and engine (which it had been doing for some time since my egr tube had cracked completely in to two pieces.).

I correctly understand that in this case there will be a water and dirt hit to the intake manifold and engine??

Were you getting good MPG like they usually get?

I thought the EGR system had a big influence on mileage...

I correctly understand that in this case there will be a water and dirt hit to the intake manifold and engine??

I never experienced any problems in that regard. ;)
Were you getting good MPG like they usually get?

I thought the EGR system had a big influence on mileage...

My '95 got great mileage--27mpg on the hwy @75ish mph. Lextreme says that if you remove the egr system, it's good for 2-5hp.

• 2 weeks later...
Main point how it to remove? How to reach to a place of its attachment from above?
You can reach the point where the EGR pipe attaches to the exhaust manifold from underneath the car. Put your car up on ramps and slide under the car just behind the front passenger's side tire (I don't know what side the steering wheel is on in Russia, so if you are standing at the front bumper, it's the left side.). After the car has cooled off, reach up towards the manifold and you can feel the EGR pipe. I was able to remove mine with a combination wrench. I believe you have to remove the heater control valve (and maybe some other parts) to unbolt the other end of the EGR pipe. We don't do emission testing here, so I just capped mine off at the exhaust manifold to make the exhaust noise stop, and it worked beautifully (which is also posted on youtube).

Very nice! I'm having this problem on my '96. At a trusted mechanic (non-dealer) I had the fix quoted at $800 total, of which $110 is the part.

What did you use to cap it? I haven't even looked at the connection... we do have emissions but I just passed so I'm good for a year.

An interesting comment was made by the mechanic who gave me the quote. He said that cold air in the upcoming season could be sucked back into the engine and bend the valves. I'm not sure how that would happen... can someone confirm that theory and/or explain it?

One other tidbit: no codes, no CEL, no tough starting, no bad acceleration, no rough idle. However, my gas mileage is horrendous. I get 15mpg around town and only about 21 mpg expressway. I've attributed it to this cracked EGR pipe so when I get it fixed / capped I'll report back.

What did you use to cap it? I haven't even looked at the connection... we do have emissions but I just passed so I'm good for a year.
I modified the broken EGR pipe that came out of my car. I bent it, and then crushed it the rest of the way in a vice.

Here's a pic:

post-1461-1226320926_thumb.jpg

An interesting comment was made by the mechanic who gave me the quote. He said that cold air in the upcoming season could be sucked back into the engine and bend the valves. I'm not sure how that would happen... can someone confirm that theory and/or explain it?
LOL I've never heard that one before. To me, it seems that if there were any credence to that, Lexus would have the EGR temp sensor set off a special malfunction light if there was a chance of this fresh air causing engine damage...like a low oil pressure/level light. I believe there is CEL code for the egr temp sensor, but I guess the temp sensor is either not very sensitive or the air that my car was sucking in was warm enough to fool it since I never had any check engine lights as a result of this EGR modification.

I drove my LS with my EGR sucking in fresh air for almost 2 years. It was probably longer than that; I drove around on the repair for 2 years. The pipe was completely cracked in two when I capped the bottom end of the EGR, so I suspect I was sucking in fresh air for a long time for the pipe to have severed in to two pieces, and my engine ran perfectly every day I owned the car. $800 for the repair?? I'm guessing he told you the tranny needs to come out?? Well, he's wrong. For comparison, the Lexus dealer nearest me only wanted $500--that includes parts and labor. I'm sure they wanted $120 or $150 for the part (whatever list is), and the rest was labor @ $110/hour.

One other tidbit: no codes, no CEL, no tough starting, no bad acceleration, no rough idle. However, my gas mileage is horrendous. I get 15mpg around town and only about 21 mpg expressway. I've attributed it to this cracked EGR pipe so when I get it fixed / capped I'll report back.
I wouldn't attribute that to the EGR pipe. My '95's highway mileage always met or exceeded the hwy EPA estimates all of the 4 years I owned the car even with the broken/capped egr pipe. Depending on what kind of city driving you do, 12-15mpg is perfectly normal if you are running short trips, stop and go, etc. If I stay just in the city, I will see 13mpg. On the hwy (outside of the city, with the cruise set), you should easily see 25mpg-26mpg (I got 27mpg on the hwy in my '95 with some minor tweaks). Sounds like it's time for a tune-up.

I modified the broken EGR pipe that came out of my car. I bent it, and then crushed it the rest of the way in a vice.

Did you not *hear* your EGR pipe broken all the two years you were driving it? That's what's driving me a little bit up the wall. It almost sounds like a crack in an exhaust mainfold but I've been feeling/listening up close for leaks in the obvious places with no findings, hence my trip to the shop and their diagnosis which I had not thought of. Thanks for your help!

I did hear it a little. I'm not a hard accelerator, so I didn't hear it too much, and it would lessen as the car warmed up. I didn't know what the noise was either. I thought the valves were ticking very badly (since it's somewhat common on the GenI cars), but when I checked them, 31/32 of them were still in the proper spec. I then started reading about the EGR pipe. I put it off some more since I thought the repair was going to be awful since I didn't know what I now know about it. The noise from the video is exacerbated since they were shot in the garage. On the road, it was barely audible with the radio and ac on.

I did hear it a little. I'm not a hard accelerator, so I didn't hear it too much, and it would lessen as the car warmed up. I didn't know what the noise was either. I thought the valves were ticking very badly (since it's somewhat common on the GenI cars), but when I checked them, 31/32 of them were still in the proper spec. I then started reading about the EGR pipe. I put it off some more since I thought the repair was going to be awful since I didn't know what I now know about it. The noise from the video is exacerbated since they were shot in the garage. On the road, it was barely audible with the radio and ac on.

Yep, that sounds about right. It's louder a) when cold and B) under moderate to hard acceleration. However, it doesn't go away totally when warmed up. Perhaps because your pipe was totally busted the hole was big enough to keep the sound to a minimum.

When cruising with the radio on I can't hear it so it sounds like the problem is diagnosed. Again, thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...

My 96 LS400 had the same problem for over a year. Of course I couldn't figure it out until I started checking this forum. It broke at exactly the same point, the accordian part of the tube. Other than the noise the worst part was at idle there was exhaust coming into the passenger compartment. I removed the tube, bent it over in a vise and reinstalled it. Car runs fine, I'll see what happens with the emissions inspection next year. Thanks for the incredibly helpful tips and diagnosis!

I forgot how quiet that car can be. :D

I have a leak somewhere in the EGR piping. I don't know if it's the pipe or a gasket, but the sound really annoys me :( haha

I'm thinking I might just buy a new pipe and gaskets. What are the part numbers for a 97?

Is this a big pain to replace yourself? Blake you have any repair instructions for replacing the EGR pipe? My gas mileage just recently took a turn for the worse... winter gas maybe?

• 3 months later...