How To Replace The Charcoal Canister ?

Hello.....Recently I got a P0440 Code on my 2000 ES. Based on what I'm reading, it appears that the charcoal canister needs to be replaced. My question is, is this something that I could do ? Is it necessary that I take it to the dealer ? I cannot seem to find any information about people doing this themselves....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I had mine done at the dealership for my '01 ES. Although I was pushing for the extended warranty to cover this work but to no avail, they were nice enough to charge me for the labor only. The retail quote for this fix would be about $550 from the dealership, and I only paid almost half of that :D

Hello.....Recently I got a P0440 Code on my 2000 ES.  Based on what I'm reading, it appears that the charcoal canister needs to be replaced.  My question is, is this something that I could do ?  Is it necessary that I take it to the dealer ?  I cannot seem to find any information about people doing this themselves....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe I am wrong here but I thought in the USA this item has to be replaced free since it is for Calif Env laws (per feds). I think they have 8 years and like a "billions" miles. I know there is something that lists like 15 diff things that have to be placed if they fail. I also know Lexus sent me a letter on it.

mburnickas is right. It's a late model car, and federal emessions laws.

If worst comes to worst and you think it's the canister (not the vacuum control for it) Replace it yourself. It takes a little wiggling around the intake hose (easily removed), but there is nothing particularly complicated about the EVAP.

I have same problem with my 1996 SC400; and it turned out to be the Vacuum Switch Valve. Search the net or get a hold of a factory service manual to get instructions on how to diagnosis the problem. Especially the VSV only costs $60 compare to over $200 for the Canister; and sometime it could be as simple as the gas cap gasket. Good luck...

Maybe I am wrong here but I thought in the USA this item has to be replaced free since it is for Calif Env laws (per feds). I think they have 8 years and like a "billions" miles. I know there is something that lists like 15 diff things that have to be placed if they fail. I also know Lexus sent me a letter on it.

I remember this too as well, but this is for 1996-1998 ES300 models only. I know this because I received a letter from Lexus Corp regarding my '96 ES that I used to own.

mburnickas is right. It's a late model car, and federal emessions laws.

If worst comes to worst and you think it's the canister (not the vacuum control for it) Replace it yourself. It takes a little wiggling around the intake hose (easily removed), but there is nothing particularly complicated about the EVAP.

Do you know where I could find a manual for my ES online or something that would show me this. I cannot seem to find any kind of repair information for this vehicle.

Does the car still have a factory gas cap or an aftermarket gas cap? Is the cap tightened securely? Have you been filling up the gas tank to the brim; i.e. kept on adding more gas after the gas pump had automatically clicked off?

Normally charcoal canister and other components of the EVAP system last for decades, but trouble can develop when aftermarket gas caps are used or if the cap is not tightened securely or if the cap gasket is badly worn or if the owner overfills the gas tank.

Does the car still have a factory gas cap or an aftermarket gas cap?  Is the cap tightened securely? Have you been filling up the gas tank to the brim; i.e. kept on adding more gas after the gas pump had automatically clicked off? 

Normally charcoal canister and other components of the EVAP system last for decades, but trouble can develop when aftermarket gas caps are used or if the cap is not tightened securely or if the cap gasket is badly worn or if the owner overfills the gas tank.

The gas cap is origional and appears to be in good condition.....I check the seal. I do have a tendacy to put a little more gas in there after the filler automatically clicks off. The check engine light came on about a week ago, so I took it to Autozone and had them read the code. It came up PO440, Evap Malfunction. So, I had them reset the code.....about a week later, it came back.

I really don't want to take my car in for repair.....I'd rather just fix it myself. That's why I was asking if I could just replace the charcoal canister myself.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks