Factory Phone In Console/factory Stereo

Lexuses71

As I mentione in an earlier post, the 'like new' '98 LS400 I bought had a tom iof extras, one being the console detachable factory phone. Now, lke most folks, I have a seperate cell phone, but the thought ocurred tome to look into possiblyactivating this car phone. It's in mint condition, however the dealer sales guy wasn't quite sure if it was Analog or Digital. The manual that came with it did not say either way. I'm asking because this is IS 1998 equipment.

Anyone know for sure? Anybody curretly have their car phone activated? f so, what carier are you using?

2nd question, who made (manufactured) the stereo system in the '98 LS400? Were they all Nakamichis or were some made by Panasonic, like Toyota used to outsource to??

Appreciate any comments, thanks!

Regarding the phone in your 98 LS, I suggest searching past posts for "Portable Plus". I think it was made by Qualcomm although I have read on ClubLexus that the identical looking old Qualcomm branded phone would not work in the 98-00 Lexus phone system. Both "Blake918" and I have installed a bit newer (although now discontinued) phone kits in our LS400's. It is fairly easy to hook a phone kit, including a Bluetooth kit, so that it automatically mutes your audio system when a call is received or made. Your 98 LS has a phone antenna imprinted on the inside of the rear window. The imprinted antenna on my 00 LS seems to work well with my GSM/TDMA/analog phone.

The original phone is Analog.

As for the stereo, they're made by Pioneer if they aren't the Nakamichi units.

Thanks to both of you guys for the responses.

I suspected the car phone-due to the year of the vehicle-was likely Analog. That's too bad, most carriers (all my cells use Verizon) barely offer any kind of service for Analog. And the few that do offer limited service at best.

Is there a Digital plug in version I can buy somewhere that would connet up to the cord/jack? Hate to have this nice looking phone just sitting in my console and it's outdated and can't be used. Oh well!

As for the stereo, I assumed it likely was Pioneer built. I do not have the Nak, but a few folks I know that do, when I listened to their systems, I didn't realy hear that much of a difference, but I respectfully would love to hear from members with the Nak. Heck, my Acura Legend Coupe has a 300 watt factory 8 spkr Bose system that seriously out kicks the Poineer in the LS400. The Pioneer sounds nice and spatial due to the size and ambience of the car I had to really tweak my tone controls to get it right for my ear), but damn that Alpine/Bose can 'bump' with the best after market systems, especially at low volumes.

Is there a Digital plug in version I can buy somewhere that would connet up to the cord/jack? Hate to have this nice looking phone just sitting in my console and it's outdated and can't be used. Oh well!

None that I know of. I think there was a big discussion about this a good while ago in which user "dogboy" was working on an adaptor of sorts to convert the Lexus phone to accept more modern technology. I'd just get a car kit from your phone's manufacture. They are quite easy to install, btw!

None that I know of. I think there was a big discussion about this a good while ago in which user "dogboy" was working on an adaptor of sorts to convert the Lexus phone to accept more modern technology. I'd just get a car kit from your phone's manufacture. They are quite easy to install, btw!

PLEASE excuse what I'm about to ask , but a "car kit" is exactly composed of what? Is it a headset, wire/cord and dash holder for the cell phone? I have a Samsung A530S, an excellent little phone, and I'd suppose there is such a "car kit for it, ya think??

A car kit is the cradle, mic, loud speaker, privacy handset, and control box...it all stays in the car. A headset isn't a car kit, but a good option if you don't want to install one in your car. There is a car kit available from Samsug for your phone:

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/pr...rod_id=SCH-A530

Here is my nokia setup:

Phone and cradle:

gallery_1461_129_1118091445.jpg

Mic:

gallery_1461_129_1118091422.jpg

Auto mute:

gallery_1461_129_1118091363.jpg

Speaker:

gallery_1461_129_1118092540.jpg

Privacy handset:

gallery_1461_129_1118091471.jpg

Antenna:

gallery_1461_129_1118261872.jpg

A car kit is the cradle, mic, loud speaker, privacy handset, and control box...it all stays in the car. A headset isn't a car kit, but a good option if you don't want to install one in your car. There is a car kit available from Samsug for your phone:

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/pr...rod_id=SCH-A530

Here is my nokia setup:

Blake, that's kind of what I thought, you don't know how much I didn't want to ask, I'd like to hink I'm not THAT out of touch! Yes, i did look up that set up for my Samsung, I'll probably get one and just look at the Analog phone every now and then! Thanks very much for the pics!

Coupe of questions: Your mount (that holds the cradle) is one of the cup holder types? And, the Privacy handset, that pic was of the phone that came in your car, like my portable handset. It has no relation to your Nokia set up, correct??

Blake, that's kind of what I thought, you don't know how  much I didn't want to ask, I'd like to hink I'm not THAT out of touch! Yes, i did look up that set up for my Samsung, I'll probably get one and just look at the Analog phone every now and then! Thanks very much for the pics!

Coupe of questions: Your mount (that holds the cradle) is one of the cup holder types? And, the Privacy handset, that pic was of the phone that came in your car, like my portable handset. It has no relation to your Nokia set up, correct??

Don't be afraid to ask any questions! If someone is going to mock you for asking a question, you wouldn't want their input anyway! The privacy handset is a Nokia accessory. It's just a like a phone, but it has no buttons on it. lol It's only meant to function to hold private conversation that you don't want anyone else in the car to hear! It's a fun little toy to have! The mount that I have isn't a cup holder type. Jim (1990LS400) should be able to tell you what brand it is! lol I pulled the ac/stereo controllers out and screwed it in to the dash right where you see it, but the screws are hidden behind the stereo and climate. I'm glad to help! ;)

As for the Pioneer and Nak I can definately tell the difference. The Nakamichi Lexus stereo is probably one of the best factory audio systems ever made, and that includes the new stereos they're using now from mark Levinson.

Stereos are really an ear thing, and it depends on what type of music you're listening to. The Nakamichi and Mark levinson systems are both geared towards instrumental and classical music and have very low levels of harmonic distortion, if you're listening to radio or rock etc you wont be able to tell a difference.

Blake, that's kind of what I thought, you don't know how  much I didn't want to ask, I'd like to hink I'm not THAT out of touch! Yes, i did look up that set up for my Samsung, I'll probably get one and just look at the Analog phone every now and then! Thanks very much for the pics!

Don't be afraid to ask any questions! If someone is going to mock you for asking a question, you wouldn't want their input anyway! The privacy handset is a Nokia accessory. It's just a like a phone, but it has no buttons on it. lol It's only meant to function to hold private conversation that you don't want anyone else in the car to hear! It's a fun little toy to have! The mount that I have isn't a cup holder type. Jim (1990LS400) should be able to tell you what brand it is! lol I pulled the ac/stereo controllers out and screwed it in to the dash right where you see it, but the screws are hidden behind the stereo and climate. I'm glad to help! ;)

And I prouffusely thnk you for the pics, although a coupe I had a hard tie making out the image, that's why I asked about the cup holder type mount for te cradle as opposed to the kind that bolts to the side of the console.

I'm tellin' ya, everyone here is just great, a very mature group of enthusiasts. And like yourself, I learn new stuff every day when I look to see what's new and being surfaced as onging owner issues. Thanks again, I really learned something here.

As for the Pioneer and Nak I can definately tell the difference. The Nakamichi Lexus stereo is probably one of the best factory audio systems ever made, and that includes the new stereos they're using now from mark Levinson.

Stereos are really an ear thing, and it depends on what type of music you're listening to. The Nakamichi and Mark levinson systems are both geared towards instrumental and classical music and have very low levels of harmonic distortion, if you're listening to radio or rock etc you wont be able to tell a difference.

Personally, I listen to a lot of rhythm based Jazz, both mainstram and contemporary. I also listen t semi-Classical on occassion, which the Pioneer does well. The Pioneer, as I mentioned, is a more than adequate system for the size of the car, but the Alpine/Bose system in my legend is a bit superior, especially on bottom end, but I perfer to listen to my CDs without kiddy style "boom-boom". I do like my bass "tight". It just has more clarity and punch,a dn to be fair, it's a smaller area in the Coupe. Plus, it is 300 watts with a subwoofer. I think the Pioneer is 200 watts w/subwoofer. Betwenn THOSE two, I can tell the difference.

I haven't yet heard the Levenson system, but I have heard excellent things about it.

But, you are absolutely correct, it is an ear thang for sure!

• 1 month later...
is there a way to use the factory mic? there has got to be a way to use some of the feautures already installed to use the factory radio as the car kit...

Yes, probably. But my opinion is "why bother".

You can install a car kit and stay almost completely away from the factory radio and the risk of damaging it. Here still again is how I install a phone kit in my 00 LS: http://home.kc.rr.com/colchester/phone/Nok...H%20install.doc

I'm betting that the driver's side connector under the connector has pins for the steering wheel mounted microphone. But I would just as soon use a mic made for my phone kit.

is there a way to use the factory mic? there has got to be a way to use some of the feautures already installed to use the factory radio as the car kit...

Yes, probably. But my opinion is "why bother".

I know!! I don't know what the fascination is with the Lexus phone. You taught us how to adapt the most useful feature of the Lexus phone to non Lexus car phone kits which is the auto-mute. The kits are easy to install, and I'm sure they work just as well as the Lexus one or better, so why bother...indeed!! :cheers:

the fascination is that it looks like stock.. not an add on....

aside from that.. it will mute the radio and also the A/C.

the controls are just there and they are located perfectly. it uses the car stereo to output the sound and simply is a lot better than a small mic.

i had it on both my 95s and when it worked it was awesome.

Mine mutes the stereo; I'm glad mine doesn't slow the ac since it would get hot!...and Lexus ac doesn't blow hard enough to create a noise disturbance. My cradle is mounted beside the stereo (since it is easy to dial out, and I can see the caller id.), but you can mount them anywhere you want even in the console so that it doesn't take away from the look of the center stack like the OE setup. Or, if you have a bluetooth phone, you don't have to mount a cradle.

My old ES300 has the Lexus phone, and the sound quality (just from listening to the operator since they don't work) isn't that improved over the Nokia car phone I have. My Nokia speaker is loud and clear, and I have no complaints with the mic either. I just don't see the point in disentangling the schematics to get an old cell phone working again when an aftermarket car phone works just as well...different strokes for different folks I suppose. :cheers: