Replacement Parts

BET

I am getting a rather stale smell from the A/C once I turn it on. I went to an autoparts store and ordered a replacement A/C cabin filter.

My issue is this, I do not have my owner's manuel for my 1997 ES 300, and I need to get rid of the stale smell. However, I do not know where to put the filters? From my understanding they go under the dashboard, but before I start tearing the uderlining of the dash apart, I am looking for a little guidance.

Please advise.

please search on this topic. There have been several threads in the past (6 months or so) that give detailed discussion of how to remove/replace the cabin filter in a 2nd generation ES.

It is up under the dash, to the above right of the gas pedal. The 97 should have two filters that sandwich together and then fit in a slot.

try searching on "cabin filter"

steviej

steviej is right. All 2nd-gen ES ('97-'01) have the A/C filter located between the center console and the engine, and you access the filter by opening up the carpeting near the floor, on the right of the gas pedal. A flashlight is nice to have if it's too dark to see things there. Once the carpet is opened up, you should see a small white plastic vertical cover, which is removed by pressing together the tabs at the top of the cover and pulling the cover out. After the plastic cover is removed, you will see a gray plastic tab sort of sticking out. This tab is part of the lower portion of the A/C filter, so you can slowly and easily pull that piece out while holding the gas pedal down with your other hand. The upper portion of the A/C filter is essentially located on top of the lower one, with its access tab sticking out from the top of the A/C filter opening. Slide it down and pull that out while again holding down the gas pedal.

If the lower and upper A/C filter assys appear very dirty, discard them and get OEM replacement for them (costs around $43 from the local Lexus parts dept). To install the A/C filter, just reverse the steps mentioned from above. Remember which side the filter must be installed correctly. Overall, it is not quite as easy as changing the air filter due to the cramped spacing, but another important service item that you can easily do yourself. Good luck!

I just went out to check mine, and my 1998 does NOT have a filter. It take around 5 minutes to open the conpartment and look.

I did clean the conpartment wilth a 2-hp shop vac with a 5/8" OD hose duck taped over the hoses end. This would boost the suction and also able me to vac the inside.

Nice and clean and I will order a filter.

http://home.comcast.net/~94gsxr1100/es_filter.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~94gsxr1100/es_filter2.jpg

I got these somewhere about 2 years ago.