Malfunction Indicator

eugene.s

Dear All,

2005 GX 470 with 50k miles, in my use for 2 months.

With ignition in "ON", all normal service reminder indicators go on except for KDSS (it should go on for a while but it does not -- but probably it never went on, I did not check it). All indicators then go off except for the mulfunction one ("check engine"). In a couple of seconds the VSC OFF, VSC TRAC and the Slip indicator also go back on (in addition to "check engine") and remain on after starting the engine. It happened after an overnight parking (did not do anything unusual before then).

The fuel cap is tightened; the engine oil level is okay; no slippages of any liquid are visible. Re-starting the engine does not help, same as moving the 4WD selector between L, N and H. Tried slow driving, seems to be as usual. Now in park.

Checked the service menu. In the "System Check Mode" all components are okay (see "Photo-0011.jpg"). Having checked EMV, NAVI and DSP-AMP in the "LAN Monitor" mode (see "Photo-0010.jpg"), they all show some codes (e.g. "Photo-0013.jpg"). However, "Unit Check" for each of these components has no records (e.g. "Photo-0014.jpg").

Questions:

- it is okay to drive with the check engine reminder on?

- what the said codes of LAN monitor may mean / do they indicate a malfunction?

- any tips what else I can check on my own before going to a dealer?

- where can I find the repair manual in electronic form?

Prior discussions of a similar issue with VSC and check engine indicators at these forums suggest there might be a failure of O2 sensors, charcoal filter, fuel pipe, etc. I will share my experience as well when (and if) I resolve it (Lexus does not officially sell GX470 in my place, so no qualified dealer is available).

post-84591-1235016544_thumb.jpg

post-84591-1235016593_thumb.jpg

post-84591-1235016651_thumb.jpg

post-84591-1235016711_thumb.jpg

Ok you got a christmas light on your cluster

I doubt there maybe failures of what you have quoted, looking at what you have quoted.

Unquote" there might be a failure of O2 sensors, charcoal filter, fuel pipe"

Ok here is what you can check out the battery, this has happened on several occassions, and once the battery is replaced, all these warnings disappears, now to check out that have run on the leads with a volt meter, and check it should read at least of 12.8 amps. if it is low, get the battery changed, you will find the difference.

Ok you got a christmas light on your cluster

I doubt there maybe failures of what you have quoted, looking at what you have quoted.

Unquote" there might be a failure of O2 sensors, charcoal filter, fuel pipe"

Ok here is what you can check out the battery, this has happened on several occassions, and once the battery is replaced, all these warnings disappears, now to check out that have run on the leads with a volt meter, and check it should read at least of 12.8 amps. if it is low, get the battery changed, you will find the difference.

Thanks for advice, did not see references to battery in other threads on similar issues. Will unlikely work for me, though -- I replaced the battery a month or so ago; as the engine starts very quickly even in cold temperatures, all should be well with leads and wires.

All, to report the outcome if it may help anyone:

Went to Toyota dealer this morning and was present during a scan check of error codes. There were two:

- P0441 - Evaporative Emission Control. System Incorrect Purge Flow; and

- P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control. System Leak Detected (Gross Leak).

They suspected that the indicators went on because the gas cap might had been loose in the past, causing the wrong pressure readings in the tank, as if there was a leak. We saw some minor ice on the perforation on the inner edge of the cap, it might have been that the gas quality was poor with some water in it... Or maybe it was just a trace of snow that came in during my last refill (it was snowing), I dont know.

In any event, they tried to check for any leaks. When the prob occurred last morning, and this morning as well, I checked the surface under the car for any spills, there were none; all liquids under the hood are also okay, so I doubt there is any "gross leak" as reported by the scanner. The Toyota guys were not able to check if there was a leak -- they said no physical works are required to do that, all this can be checked via a scanner sending commands to the car. The scanner, however, refused this check because of a 9/10 full gas tank. They said to do a check, the scanner causes pressurising vapors in the tank (this way it also checks the charcoal filter), it's only possible to do that when the tank is not full (they recommended approx. 1/2 full).

Specifically checked VSC, there were no errors recorded. Specifically checked the gas flow/comsumption and injenction components and O2 sensors, running the car at different RPMs, all okay.

So, they cleared all the codes and advised to come again if the indicators pop up for a second time. The car's performance is good, VSC is back to work (it took it a while to resume operations after the error codes clearing). Will let you know any developments.

Dear All,

2005 GX 470 with 50k miles, in my use for 2 months.

With ignition in "ON", all normal service reminder indicators go on except for KDSS (it should go on for a while but it does not -- but probably it never went on, I did not check it). All indicators then go off except for the mulfunction one ("check engine"). In a couple of seconds the VSC OFF, VSC TRAC and the Slip indicator also go back on (in addition to "check engine") and remain on after starting the engine. It happened after an overnight parking (did not do anything unusual before then).

The fuel cap is tightened; the engine oil level is okay; no slippages of any liquid are visible. Re-starting the engine does not help, same as moving the 4WD selector between L, N and H. Tried slow driving, seems to be as usual. Now in park.

Checked the service menu. In the "System Check Mode" all components are okay (see "Photo-0011.jpg"). Having checked EMV, NAVI and DSP-AMP in the "LAN Monitor" mode (see "Photo-0010.jpg"), they all show some codes (e.g. "Photo-0013.jpg"). However, "Unit Check" for each of these components has no records (e.g. "Photo-0014.jpg").

Questions:

- it is okay to drive with the check engine reminder on?

- what the said codes of LAN monitor may mean / do they indicate a malfunction?

- any tips what else I can check on my own before going to a dealer?

- where can I find the repair manual in electronic form?

Prior discussions of a similar issue with VSC and check engine indicators at these forums suggest there might be a failure of O2 sensors, charcoal filter, fuel pipe, etc. I will share my experience as well when (and if) I resolve it (Lexus does not officially sell GX470 in my place, so no qualified dealer is available).

Do you need to do anything special to get into the system check mode?

Thanks

• 3 months later...
Do you need to do anything special to get into the system check mode?

Thanks

As far as I remember: press INFO button for > 5 secs, then turn on/off (in sequence) your tail lights. It will give access to menu. Probably the procedure is a bit different, but I am sure you will easily find it at this forum or in google. Try searing for "service menu".

P.S. Apologies for the delay in responding -- no notification came of a new email posted. If not helpful to you, the response may still be helpful to others...

Just to let you know that since clearing the codes, no error indicators poped up. I believe the issue was indeed either with a bad fuel or with a lose cap.