Power Door Lock Problem

dr j

Greetings! I am a new member posting for the first time. I own a '98 LS400 which I love. However, my driver's side door will not lock or unlock using the key fob or auto button on the inside door panel. I can lock and unlock manually or with the key. The other doors work just fine. I was told the door lock actuator was most likely the culprit. A replacement is listed as a $287 part. My question is this: Is a lower cost after-market actuator available, or can an actuator from another Toyota product be substituted?

the actuator isnt that easy to break, if i were you, i would take off the door panel to check the locking machanism. sometimes its as easy as reconnecting a loosen electric connector, or the connecting rod that pulls/ pushs the lock. after the fix, buy yourself a drink and save the money

the actuator isnt that easy to break, if i were you, i would take off the door panel to check the locking machanism. sometimes its as easy as reconnecting a loosen electric connector, or the connecting rod that pulls/ pushs the lock. after the fix, buy yourself a drink and save the money

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that - sometimes you're lucky!