Tilt Wheel Problem

DocSun

Our 95 LS400 has a sticky steering wheel adjust. It goes to full up, as it should, when exiting the car but getting it to the driving position requires hitting the adjustment button many times.

I assume its an intermittent switch but not sure. Any sugestions on how to trouble shoot?

Our 95 LS400 has a sticky steering wheel adjust. It goes to full up, as it should, when exiting the car but getting it to the driving position requires hitting the adjustment button many times.

I assume its an intermittent switch but not sure. Any sugestions on how to trouble shoot?

there is a tsb "technical service bulliten" on this one, it's actually a simple mistake in the wiring. The wiring in your steering column is taped too tightly. The tsb suggests unwrapping the tape by a few twists, to give the wires a little more slack. I had this too, and still do on the rare occasion, even with the fix. Mine would not retract all the way back. the wires get tugged on by the motor, and they get pulled from their connectors by just a hair, but enough to trick the computer into thinking the wheel is where it should be. i don't have the tsb here at the office, but i'll post it up from home, unless one of the other guys has it already. basically, just open up your steering column cover, look for taped wires, and unwrap a couple times.

my 1990 LS400 got that same issue, sometimes nicely retracks and goes up upon key removal, then returns properly on key insert. But most of the time, it wont work as expected. seems like it gets sticky at some wheel angles

also, i need to hit the adjust button many times to set the wheel

thank you for posting the tsb here

I had the dealer check it tody. Well kinda checked it. Said it was a bad motor. fix price , gulp, $1000. So I will try to set it in a fixed postion and then cut a wire to keep it there.

The question is of course which wire to cut? Any one know?

Sorry fella's forgot to post this up last night, got distracted by that HOT chick on American Idol... :blink:

Try this before you spend the $1,000 at the dealership. Infact...don't spend the money at all, there HAS to be a better way, even if it required a trip to Radio Shack for a tiny motor and soder it in..

Here is the TSB...

45.pdf