Got Only One Key For My Car

I recently bought a 1998 ES300 from one of the car dealers. I got only one key from them. It opens the door, trunk as well starts the engine. The key that I currently have looks similar to the "Valey Transponder Key" found here http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist.asp?Su...ID=91&ModelID=1

Now, I want to order one more key from this website, as they have a sale going on until Jul 2005, provided if you enter the promotional code (909RK) before submitting the order. But, they have listed 2 different keys for this car:

1. 89785-30020-RK - Non-Remote Master Key $51.00

2. 89786-30020-RK - Valet Transponder Key $51.00

I don't know what's the difference beteween these two keys. I am also not sure, which one I should buy as my duplicate key. I want the key, which should be able to open everything in my car.

Also, if I buy the "Valet Transponder Key", do I need to program my key, before I start using it to start/stop the vehicle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Please refer to the following: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...hl=snowboarding

Key Points:

* You need a Master Key to create new keys.

* If No Master Key, then New ECU Unit is required. Call Lexus Corporate Customer Service.

* If Yes Master Key, then Order Master and/or Valet Key from dealer or Lexus-parts.com and either program it yourself (do a search on this website) or have the dealer program it for you.

Hope this helps.

Hi Melhadri,

Please take a look at my recent posting (questions for you), in the other thread that you re-directed me to get more details about gettting ECU replacement from Lexus.

Thanks a bunch. I appreciate your help.

But, they have listed 2 different keys for this car: 

1. 89785-30020-RK - Non-Remote Master Key $51.00

2. 89786-30020-RK - Valet Transponder Key  $51.00

I don't know what's the difference beteween these two keys. I am also not sure, which one I should buy as my duplicate key. I want the key, which should be able to open everything in my car.

Also, if I buy the "Valet Transponder Key", do I need to program my key, before I start using it to start/stop the vehicle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

from the website descriptions both keys you've listed will NOT have the keyless entry feature without the remote key fob, the $117part on the website. the master key (#1) will be able to manually lock/unlock everything including the glovebox which is the location of the lockout button for the trunk and also starts the ignition. the valet key (#2) has the same functions but cannot unlock the glovebox and trunk for obvious reasons. i believe all keys have to be programmed to start the ignition.

the best thing for you to do is call Sewel Lexus, aka lexus-parts.com, and confirm. they do alot of groupbuys and sales on CL forum.

I just called the Lexus customer satisfaction number as suggested by you and explained my situation. They were very friendly and told me that ECU is for free, if I haven't done this earlier. I have to pay the price for labor and keys. Boy, this is going to solve all my troubles. I just contacted my local dealer and they seem to be aware of this program. They said, they have to verify the ownership of my vehicle, registration etc., and will order one for me. It seem that it will only take couple of business days to receive a new ECU from Lexus. I can't ask for anything more.

This forum helped me by saving $$$$$$.

I'll further keep you guys updated on what is going on with my ECU replacement.

Thanks,

I just called the Lexus customer satisfaction number as suggested by you and explained my situation. They were very friendly and told me that ECU is for free, if I haven't done this earlier. I have to pay the price for labor and keys. Boy, this is going to solve all my troubles. I just contacted my local dealer and they seem to be aware of this program. They said, they have to verify the ownership of my vehicle, registration etc., and will order one for me. It seem that it will only take couple of business days to receive a new ECU from Lexus. I can't ask for anything more.

This forum helped me by saving $$$$$$.

I'll further keep you guys updated on what is going on with my ECU replacement.

Thanks,

play the lotto, you are one lucky dude!

:cheers: