Kluk Kluk Sound Under Display System!

PlanetLexus

After toyota dealer notified me about my compressor leaking and asked me to replace it and give me a quote of $850 to do it. As our town does not have Lexus dealer, i have to take it to Toyota dealer for my regular maintenence and i am not satisfied with thier service at all as they are the worst in the area.

I got my compressor replaced with a mechanic but i am getting this continous kluk kluk sound from under display system after turning the car on even though the A/C is off or on. I do not know how to check and where to check to know what causing this sound.

I would greatly appreciate if anybody suggest me to figure out the problem and probably the fix. I have 54k miles on it.

All suggestions are welcom.

Thanks

PlanetLexus

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a new member and don't know what I'm doing here, but here goes. I joined tonight triying to find something on a similar sound from my RX300. I thought it was the CD changer changing the CD's in and out one-by-one. Tonight I removed the two panels under the dash on the passenger side. One reveals the HVAC blower, the other (a vertical panel on the center console) reveals the coil piping and actuators that open and close the air valves for the different HVAC modes. One of the actuators is making the noise. It acts like it can't figure out what to do - open or close - it just goes back and forth over and over. I would take that panel off and see if it's the same thing. The question I have for someone is: Is the fix to simply replace the actuator or is the problem with the circuitry that controls it?

Hope this helps you.

Tray

I'm a new member and don't know what I'm doing here, but here goes.  I joined tonight triying to find something on a similar sound from my RX300.  I thought it was the CD changer changing the CD's in and out one-by-one.  Tonight I removed the two panels under the dash on the passenger side.  One reveals the HVAC blower, the other (a vertical panel on the center console) reveals the coil piping and actuators that open and close the air valves for the different HVAC modes.  One of the actuators is making the noise.  It acts like it can't figure out what to do - open or close - it just goes back and forth over and over.  I would take that panel off and see if it's the same thing.  The question I have for someone is:  Is the fix to simply replace the actuator or is the problem with the circuitry that controls it?

Hope this helps you.

Tray

90% sure its just the actuator. if you live in a hot climate area, it probably goes out every 50K or so due to excessive use. seen this many other times on other cars, though never on a lexus.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2001 RX300 with 36K. I'm getting the same sound from my center console area. I suspected it was the servo motor so I brought it to Lexus dealership to look at it under warranty. They told me it was a normal noise and there was nothing wrong. The noise still persists and i'm very supicious that there is a problem.

Any one else experiencing this or have any reccommondations.

Thanks!

mark1175@hotmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

i have a 1999 rx300. diving last week i heard a scruffing noise somewhere between the firewall and console. it actually sounded like a creature was building a nest. the dealer replaced the servo. i still have the noise only now its interminent. anyone have any ideas? ......thanks, sleepypeepers ps: what is a servo?

• 1 month later...

Any resolution to these last 4 posts based on a similar "actuator-based" switching noise in the center console?

My 2001 RX300 has an intermittent clicking or buzzing sound that is definitely related to heating/AC control. Sometimes it sounds like a cellphone on vibrate mode, only on steroids. Unfortunately, I can't quite make it happen on demand. Hence, dealer is not able to replace anything (YET).

• 2 years later...

Any resolution to these last 4 posts based on a similar "actuator-based" switching noise in the center console?

My 2001 RX300 has an intermittent clicking or buzzing sound that is definitely related to heating/AC control. Sometimes it sounds like a cellphone on vibrate mode, only on steroids. Unfortunately, I can't quite make it happen on demand. Hence, dealer is not able to replace anything (YET).

I have had the same prob.. in my case it was the servo that controls the air flow... vent,floor,defrost,etc.. my mechanic removed the servo and replaced it for $125.. never happened again

I have had the same prob.. in my case it was the servo that controls the air flow... vent,floor,defrost,etc.. my mechanic removed the servo and replaced it for $125.. never happened again

If it is the servo pop the panel off from under the glovebox, Remove the glovebox assy.With the key on engine off you can press the mode button and watch the servo move, Turn the key completely off.Remove the 3 screws and plug to take the assy. out. Do not attempt to rotate the arm on the end of the servo( it engages with a worm gear and will break the gears )The servo is a snap together unit. Carefully take it apart with the arm side down so the gears don't fall out.Inside you will see multiple whiper fingersthat make contact with a gear, Carefully clean these with alcohol and a cotton swab.Redistribute the contact grease with a clean finger, Carefully snap the unit back together , Clean the copper contacts and put everything back together. Lexus wants 2 hrs. labor for this.

If your car has the passenger cabin air filter, you may want to remove it and clean it. I pulled mine out at 5K and it was jam packed with leaves and dirt, some of which had slipped down the sides of the filter. You could possibly have a leaf or something stuck in the system if it's not the servo. Just my $0.02 ;)

Edit: Be careful when taking that filter out! If enough debris is built up, it can be scraped off the filter and fall into the intake (and that would be a real bummer). I don't know how to prevent it though.

Great tag line, Suburbazine. Based on what we're going through right now with my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD at the dealership for what I thought would be pretty simple and straightforward warranty work, I can really relate....