Motormount/dogbone Torque Strut

ashleywat

New to the forum and have found many past writeups about this topic. I'm fairly certain front motor mount and/or dogbone strut is bad, but Adavance auto around here says they can't even get the part and no other parts stores can either. All I am left with is Lexus and they want 240 for the front mount. Looking at the front mount I cannot see anything wrong with it,,how do you tell? I dont want to replace front if maybe it is just the dogbone. Exactly where is the torque strut/dogbone? I have yet to look for that yet.

One other question, if you go to advanceautoparts.com website and go to motormount for Lexus, I have a 2000, both the motormounts say they are for cars without variable timing, Im fairly certain sits 98 or 99 all ES300's have variable timing, can anyone confirm? Thanks

I checked prices for you

front mount 12361-0A030 = $127

Dogbone 12363-0A050 = $47

How to check:

Ask good driver to push the brake hard and put car in to "Drive" push and release accelator at same time and you will watch engine movement. you will figure out.

Hope this helps.

thx, i was asking for lexus,,today asked for camry and same thing,,,dogbone they can get in 1-2 days, motor mount at advance says 7-14 days, I think I will replace dogbone first, see if that fixes it, if not I will then get motor mount.

I did the test a few days ago, engine moves quite a bit, in drive engine acts like it wants to flip over into the direction of the cabin,,,moves a lot more than normal. Any chance the tranny mount is broke too???

Hey, so I replaced the dogbone first to see if that would fix the problem, since it was the cheapest fix, and no dice, I see no difference. My wife took the car for an emissions test and the tech there said he does not see that the engine is moving more than normal, he said he smelled the tranny fluid and it smells burnt, but not too bad, he is recommending a tranny flush. My only thing is the engine seems to move a lot and clunks only when going from park to drive, drive to reverse but not really when driving and changing gears. any thoughts???

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also having the same issue with my 98'. (w/o variable timing) The engine literally jerks around as if it wants 'out.' Kinda unusual but honestly my transmission feels fairly smooth while switching gears. Checked the fluids and all seems well. (Dark Cherry Red color) I assume the mounts are busted. I read about the replacement of mounts on the LS but how long does it take to replace each of the 3 mounts on an ES? Also, does anyone have a diagram of the location of the mounts?

Took the ES to a local Toyota dealership for inspection of the mounts. They confirmed all mounts are in good shape, however, the rear mount is a little shaky but not critical. I asked if they would repair it and they suggested that I save my $$ b/c it didn't need repaired. Appreciate their honesty and due diligence. I'll later post the tech's notes for reference. Thanks.