Front Struts - Info Needed

I think my car needs front struts, because the front suspension is very firm. Has anyone here ever taken their car to a shop to have these replaced? If so, about how much did they charge (labor only, as I am going to buy struts from Toyota)? I would like to see what others have have paid, so I when I call the repair shops, I will know what a fair price is. Thanks in advance.

New front struts and strut rod bushings for a friends' 97 Coach cost around $750!

This was for both sides, but I don't remember if they replaced the lower ball joints and tie rod ends..........for that price, I hope so!!

Hi, Not sure how much for just the labor for the fronts. I called the dealer a couple months ago asking how much to replace all 4 and they said around $800. That included the parts. I'm going to buy KYB struts and OEM springs and do the job my self in the next month or so. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like another low cost repair. :rolleyes:

I think it is time to buy another Accord or Camry. :o :D

OH- did I say that in here? :lol:

Actually- $800 at the dealer for all 4 does not sound too bad. I had the rears done a few months ago. Labor at a local repair shop was $90 (both sides) and I went with OEM Toyota struts- ($51 each @ the local Lexus-Toyota dealer) which gave a much softer ride (still not as soft and floaty as I would like) than the high performance KYBs that the previous owner had installed. I still have them in the trunk and need to sell them. They only have about 4000 miles on them and he paid quite a bit for them according to the receipt. I would like to sell them both for $100. I think he paid $90 each for them. The ride was just way to firm for me. Perhaps they had been installed on the front before and the receipt was just not there.... :unsure:

Thanks again folks. . . . . . . . . .

Believe it or not, my local Lexus dealer told me I didn't need struts. I specifically asked them about replacement and they said I didn't need them. Surpised me! they are usually quick on the draw. When I pressed for details they told me Lexus doesn't suggest replacing them until after 200K. Anyone else heard this?

I do however agree with the dealer. The cars rides very smooth, and has no vibrations. This area is probably quite easy on suspensions. You all in pothole areas may have very different situations.

90LexusLS400, I hope I'm not making a mistake by changing mine to KYB's. I want to keep the same factory feel that I have. Can you tell me if the KYB's that you took off are the GR-2's? Thanks

Not sure MBP- I will check them tomorrow. They gave my car a very firm ride. It was like I was riding in a small 2-seater sports car. :(

The factory Toyota struts (made by KYB, but softer), give it a much softer ride.

Now the front seems too firm. Roads here are not bad at all, but I can still tell that the front is too firm. I called the dealer today and they are $47 each for the front. He kept asking me- "are you sure it is not the air-suspension model"? I had to keep saying "NO", at least three times. He said that those were $1000 each. :blink: Now I will have to call the shop tomorrow that replaced the rear to see how much they will charge to put the front ones on and perhaps even replace those bushings that are causing the "clunking" sounds. Would this be the best time to get those changed as well? Thanks

Has anyone replaced thier struts on your own? I'm about to buy KYB GR-2's and OEM springs. From what I can tell by other posts, the OEM struts are about half the price of the KYB's.

What I really want to know is, do I need any special tools (Pullers or presses)? Also want to know what else I should be replacing while I'm in that deep? Such as bushings or ball joints.

I plan on doing the job sometime this summer. Any Comments would help. :cheers:

Has anyone replaced thier struts on your own? I'm about to buy KYB GR-2's and OEM springs. From what I can tell by other posts, the OEM struts are about half the price of the KYB's.

What I really want to know is, do I need any special tools (Pullers or presses)? Also want to know what else I should be replacing while I'm in that deep? Such as bushings or ball joints.

I plan on doing the job sometime this summer. Any Comments would help. :cheers:

mb,

I would say go ahead and replace the lower ball joints while your under there...

The front strut rod also has bushings that are prone to failure in our silly little cars.... check for cracks and looseness there too. Replace if worn, because they're ready to give out by that point.

You will need ball joint separator, jaw pullers: free rental at parts stores (Autozone, etc..)

Search the forum for "lower ball joint replacement" or similar words and you'll find a lot of info..........

PGA West huh........I've player there a few times! Shot 75 (39-36) from the blue tees on the Stadium course once! That place is DIABOLICAL :lol:

:cheers:

I have not forgotten about checking on the struts. I just drive this car about 2-3 days a week and I have not been driving it. I am off work tomorrow and I will be driving it. I will see what struts that were on the car.

99LS- when/if I get the front struts changed, should I get the bushings (clunking front suspension over bumps) changed at this time as well? What about springs- should I get those changed as well? I think my car is setting about level. I have recent photos of my car I will try to post, if I can get them to work.

You can see my daily work car- 1992 Buick Park Avenue down by the workshop in the photo. As expected, that car rides like it is on a cloud. It has air suspension, but I took out the fuse, because it seemed like the pump was running too much. Still the car does not ride to low, unless I have a lot of groceries in the trunk.

post-4-1086496347.jpg

I'm going to replace my springs and struts at the same time. By the picture you have it does not look like you will need to change yours. I would suggest replacing the bushings, that should take care of the clunking noise.

Well, I bought the KYB's and I'm getting OEM springs. I plan on do the work in about 2-3 weeks. It's going to be hot as heck, it was 108 here today! B)

Thanks. Are you replacing yours because the ride seems to "floaty"? I hope new OEM struts will soften the ride of my car. The rear is OK now, since I had Toyota struts installed on the rear. The front may be OK and I hate to change out if there will be no change. I can press the front down and it will rebound once- which is normal, but it seems like it does not press down as quickly as it should. The front does not seem to absorb the bumps like it should, but it may just be me. It may be normal. I called and the Toyota front struts are $47 each. Not sure how much they (local repair shop I go it) will charge to change them. They charged $90 (both sides) to change the rear. Thanks again and good luck.

90LexusLS400, I hope I'm not making a mistake by changing mine to KYB's. I want to keep the same factory feel that I have. Can you tell me if the KYB's that you took off are the GR-2's? Thanks

MBPGAWEST: I checked the struts a little while ago and they are indeed GR-2's. The previous owner had just installed them only about 1000 miles before I bought the car. Needless to say, the ride was very, very firm. Obviously so bad, that I went and bought Toyota (still made by KYB, but much softer) struts from the dealer. Ride is much softer and handling is still great. It is possible that the owner may have also had GR-2's put on the front at some other time, but there are no receipts in the glove compartment which point to that, but it is possible that one was left out.... :blink:

I need to sell these struts, as I have no need for them. I need to advertise them in the local paper, but do not know a good price for them. The owner paid $79 each for them if I recall. I only put about 700 miles on them and the previous owner about 1000 miles, so they are basically still new. The lower part of them was painted black, so they would blend in with the rest of the wheel wells, but the upper part is still gray and you can see the "KYB" stamp and the "GR-2" stickers. What would these be worth if I wanted to sell them? Someone on the other Lexus site said that these struts are much more expensive now, but I have no idea. Any info appreciated.

I have not forgotten about checking on the struts. I just drive this car about 2-3 days a week and I have not been driving it. I am off work tomorrow and I will be driving it. I will see what struts that were on the car.

99LS- when/if I get the front struts changed, should I get the bushings (clunking front suspension over bumps) changed at this time as well? What about springs- should I get those changed as well? I think my car is setting about level. I have recent photos of my car I will try to post, if I can get them to work.

You can see my daily work car- 1992 Buick Park Avenue down by the workshop in the photo. As expected, that car rides like it is on a cloud. It has air suspension, but I took out the fuse, because it seemed like the pump was running too much. Still the car does not ride to low, unless I have a lot of groceries in the trunk.

90LS,

you probably will need them.......but check first for sure! the bushings may show cracks and be hard....if that's the case then it will really help eliminate the "clunk" sounds....

99lsguy, do you come out to PGA WEST often? Next time your in town, let me know and we can play one of the private courses. ;)

90Lexus, :( I bought the shocks before I could read your reply. I'm going to get the OEM springs from my brother-in-law sometime this week. Won't have time to do the job for a while, sometime this summer. On a cool day when it's only 105 or so. :lol:

99lsguy, do you come out to PGA WEST often? Next time your in town, let me know and we can play one of the private courses. ;)

90Lexus, :( I bought the shocks before I could read your reply. I'm going to get the OEM springs from my brother-in-law sometime this week. Won't have time to do the job for a while, sometime this summer. On a cool day when it's only 105 or so. :lol:

Thanks 99....

MPB: Hopefully the ride on your car will not be too harsh for you. It may suit others fine, but I want a cushy/soft, ride.

I don't have plans this summer......but I'll keep you in mind. thanks for the offer! If anything comes up I'll let you know for sure.....

Happy golfing........ :cheers: