Door Speakers

i have a 94 es 300 and i would like to replace the factory door speakers. the problem im running into is i am unable to remove the stock speaker cover does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this

• 2 months later...

Is it difficult to remove the door panels? In my Mazda, the door panels just clipped out, but I wrecked a few of the clips and couldn't get the panel o go back on fully.

Is the Lexus just clips as well? Is there a right and a wrong way to pull it off?

Thanks!

Bryan

Well, I wouldn't say I am completely clueless :P

How hard can it be? Usually, when you just start pulling at things the clips just pop out (at least on old cars that I have owned). I will make myself a tool this time to help loosen the clips without wrecking them . . .

Thanks,

Bryan

All right :)

I'll give it a try then. If worse comes to worse and I mess the clips, I can always buy new ones from the dealer. For my Mazda, they were only 5 cents a piece, so I guess for the Lexus they will be a bargain at $2.00 a piece :P

Regards,

Bryan

OK, these :censored: doors are *BLEEP*ing me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is holding the stupid thing on!?!?!?!?!? I am working on the passenger side. Looking at the door panel from the inside, I have got the bottom and left side loose. I have pulled out the two clips on the right side, but the right side still seems tight and pulling doesn't seem to loosen any clips.

Can someone give me some detailed instructions? I thought I should be able to loosen the left, bottom, and right sides and then pull the door off by lifting up . . .

Please help ASAP! I hate having my car all apart, and I don't want to put it back together and give up when I am so close :(

PLEASE! Thanks!

Bryan

OK, I go the panel off now (turns out I was missing a screw under a piece of felt where you grab to close the door).

Anyways, now I hae no idea how I am supposed to get the stock speaker out of the plastic housing. I pulled a plastic ring off and undid 3 screws, but now what?!?!

Please help!

Bryan

Good evening,

I have a '93 ES300 - speakers are the same as yours, I'm guessing. I just replaced a door speaker in mine. The easiest way to remove the speaker is to remove the entire plastic housing. Unclip all the wire connectors on the speaker housing (there are 2, if I recall...) and remove the screws that hold the platic housing to the door. I think there are 4 screws. The entire housing, speaker and all, pops right out. You don't have to remove the plastic ring from the speaker unless you want to separate the speaker and the housing.

By the way, I considered replacing my factory speakers with aftermarket ones too. My left door woofer blew, I figured it was a good time to "upgrade". I did a lot of research, to make a long story short... I replaced my factory speaker with a new stock one from the Lexus dealer. According to my sources you have to replace the entire stereo system in your Lexus - new amp, wiring, speakers, maybe even a new head unit - to really notice a huge difference in sound. I wasn't ready to go that route. Once I put the new speaker in place and buttoned everything back up, the sound was awesome. My old speaker must have been slowly degenerating before it finally blew, replacing it made a huge difference. One mod I am considering is putting a powered subwoofer in the trunk. Pretty easy to do, it will add a bit of "punch" to the already excellent sound from the standard system.

The factory speaker cost $175 CDN - not cheap, but a lot less than a new stereo system. The new speaker came mounted in a new plastic enclosure - pop it in, 4 screws, plug in the connector - done.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Tim...

Oh, and by the way...

When you are putting the door panel back on, be sure that:

1. the window is down all the way before you start

2. reattach the top of the panel first. There are three or four metal clips attached to the door at the top - make sure the door panel is hung over these clips, wiggle it around until it is in place - then replace the screws and pop in the plastic clips.

If you do it this way, it takes about two miutes - very easy.

Tim...

Thanks man!

Here is what happened:

- Finally got door panel off

- Finally got speaker out of plastic housing (it is glued!)

- Installed Sony XPlod speaker

- The XPlod is worse than stock! Distorts at lower volumes

- Put the stock speaker back in and forget about the Sonys :P

So right now I have the Alpine MP3 CDA-9835 deck, factory speakers, and a 10" Alpine type R sub in the trunk. I am pretty pleased with the way it sounds :)

Regards,

Bryan

Yup, I definitely now know how to take the door panel off :P

How does it make sense that the Sonys sounded like crap? I could see if I was still using the factory amplifier, but I am not. All of my speakers (except my sub) are powered by the Alpine head unit's internal 60x4W amp (26x4W RMS).

Regards,

Bryan