Installing New Aftermarket System....

I just bought a 98 gs300 and went to best buy and circuit city to buy audio products such as speakers and radio. Heres the deal...according to the techs, 6.5 speakers wont fit in the car...apparently, they are to big and they wont fit even though the store computer said that 6.5 goes into that car. we didnt test it out, he just assumed that they wont...i guess hes worked on these cars before. so the guy said i might have to go with 4'' speakers all the way around (front and rear). Than he said that they wont even touch it because its a pain to take out the door panels to install speakers. 2nd problem- he said the car has a factory amp and that it has to be re-wired in order to install a new aftermarket 4 channel amp.

Has anyone had trouble installing a aftermarket system? Do 6.5 speakers fit into these cars or do they have to be custom done? What about adding a 4 channel amp? one more question....where do i get the wiring harness? lexus dealer, ebay? if i get a pioneer radio, do i need a pioneer harness or will a universal one due?

thx guys!!!

I just bought a 98 gs300 and went to best buy and circuit city to buy audio products such as speakers and radio. Heres the deal...according to the techs, 6.5 speakers wont fit in the car...apparently, they are to big and they wont fit even though the store computer said that 6.5 goes into that car. we didnt test it out, he just assumed that they wont...i guess hes worked on these cars before. so the guy said i might have to go with 4'' speakers all the way around (front and rear). Than he said that they wont even touch it because its a pain to take out the door panels to install speakers. 2nd problem- he said the car has a factory amp and that it has to be re-wired in order to install a new aftermarket 4 channel amp.

Has anyone had trouble installing a aftermarket system? Do 6.5 speakers fit into these cars or do they have to be custom done? What about adding a 4 channel amp? one more question....where do i get the wiring harness? lexus dealer, ebay? if i get a pioneer radio, do i need a pioneer harness or will a universal one due?

thx guys!!!

The 6.5" speakers can fit in the doors but you have to cut alittle.. So my advice to you is go to a shop where they aren't afraid to do what it takes to get the job done.. When you go to spots like that they don't want to work. Watch, take your car to a real Audio shop and they'll do whatever you want.. Also, you might want to change out your factory amp anyway so you can get the most out of your mids and highs..

• 4 weeks later...

Mr Sypher...how do you like the JL mids and highs? I have MB Quart in my Supra and JL W6v2's... I want to do one JL 12W7 in the GS400 with a JL 1000w amp and also upgrade the mids and highs...maybe with JL stuff....I think they have a new line out called the ZR's or something like that...What do you think and what sizes should I go with?

Also can PM and tell me why I can't PM anyone? I have more than ten posts....

The 1998 GS door panels are by far some of the easiest panels I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Well designed, and made to br removed and installed two million times without a single clip breaking.

As far as speakers, you're on your own there. Figure out how to take the panels off and you will see what you need. Keep in mind, if you don't change the amp, the front speakers are 2 ohm and the rears are 4 ohm.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php...34&cat=0&page=2 This is the harness if you just want to change out the factory headunit. Keep in mind, this is just for reference, I don't recommend Autotoys.com.

They way it looks by the diagram, the factory radio only sends right and left channels to the amp, not front and rear, right and left. So, therefore I can't imagine how the fade control on an aftermarket radio would ever work because the data from the original radio will no longer be being sent to the amp.

By looking at the colors for the speaker outputs on the amp, you could run the speaker outs from the aftermarket radio directly to the correct wires at the amp plug (amp location: right side, under dash). You could also get power, acc, and ground at the factory radio plug.

Radio Plug:

Grey - ACC

Blue/Yellow - PWR

White/Black - GND

Don't know where to get remote turn-on for amp or antenna.

Amp Plug:

Light Green - FR+

Blue - FR-

Pink - FL+

Violet - FL-

Light Green/Black - Woofer+

Light Green/Red - Woofer-

Red - RR+

White - RR-

Black - RL+

Yellow - RL-

Don't forget, you might as well throw away that changer in your glovebox. It's not going to work anymore.

Looks like a project doesn't it? And to think, I was going to install XM or Sirius radio. Think I'll pass on that install!

radiopla.pdf