Help For The Newbie!

BG LEX

:whistles: HEY GUYS I HAVE A 90' LS 400 and IM NEW TO THIS FORUM. IVE READ ALL OF THE LS400 POSTINGS AND THIS IS AN AMAZING SITE. I DO HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS OF MY OWN,

1. The "A/C", "OFF" , "Front DEFROST", "REAR Defrost" "the right powered heated seat" BUTTONS have no LIGHTS behind them, I was wondering how much would the dealer install new ones for? ( NOT TO MENTION MY CLOCK AND TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY IS BLACK! I HAVE TO REPLACE THAT)

2. Also, my front left speaker doesnt work. its not the balance, F/R settings, it just wont work, how can I get it to work, I also plan on installing a CD player because my 90' has the premium NAKAMICHI system with NO CD PLAYER?!?!? how can I do that? I dont think any of the 3rd party cd players will fit in the housing?

4. MY LAST question is WHERE IN THE WORLD can I find some accessories ! I cant find any 15 inch Chrome rims for my baby anywhere, :angry: also the clear side markers/front signal covers I cant find those any where also.

SORRY GUYS I KNOW THATS ALOT OF ANNOYING QUESTIONS BUT IM ONLY 16 AND A NEW LEXUS ENTHUSIAST !!

Im glad I found a site like this. Props to the creators!

Not sure about the audio questions, not my area of expertise, someone else will be along for them.

As for the wheels, since you say 15 inch I assume you want the stock wheels just in chrome? Check out www.aaarims.com they sell original equipment wheels.

Welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lex,

Re 1) Dealer replaced ANYTHING will cost you. Shop around on the web for parts sites. A lightbulb for your buttons from a dealer will be $10.00 each and $80.00 / hr. for labor. If you love your 'new' baby, get a Service manual, little things are easy to do and fun. You'll learn about your car. If you must go to a dealer, go to a Toyota dealer, many Lexus parts are way cheaper if you get them from a Toyota parts place. For your LCD clock / temp screen look at Jim Walker's mail in this forum OR contact, as suggested by the Moderator, MIKADO Corp. in San Francisco, CA. They may sell you a replacement. Again AVOID the dealer for this !!!!

Re 2) Speaker wire may be loose, You can remove door panel and have a look. Again, Dealer will replace for $40.00 + $80.00 / hr. labor

My advice is this: You're young and hopefully have a little spare time between highschool semesters. Buy the Service manual at www.books4cars.com (2 volume set for $160.00) or a Chilton's Service manual for about $100.00, find places to get inexpensive parts and have FUN doing-it-yourself!

Just an aside: When it's time for oil change - DO IT EVERY 3K MILES!!!! - Buy the oil yourself & a filter and get the local garage to do it for $10.00. If you go to a Lexus dealer, it will be $75.00 !

Also, make sure it has had it's 120K full service check. Get the dealer to do this. It goes to liability issues if anything should go wrong with major mechanical systems.

HEY HAMMO and SW30ES..

Thanks alot for your help, you dont realize how much you've helped me..

I am going to do as you suggested and get myself a Service Manual.

Im very proud of this car its trully a masterpiece :D

Right now schools about to be over and theres tons of exams so I cant do any of that right now, but once summer comes... I will!

thanks again guyz

• 7 months later...

Oh, by the way... Fram makes an item I found very useful in changing oil. It's called sure drain...and I love it! No messy oil draining up my arm when removing drain plug anymore. just twist on drain hose and wiat till completely drained, then twist off hose and clean it out before storage. I keep it in a plastic bag in the glove box. Great product. Worth every penny.