RX400h oil pan replacement

Hi, I have a 2007 RX400h that has a stripped oil pan plug due to an incompetent tech during an oil change. While I have a temporary fix in place I was told a new pan replacement would cost upwards of $700-800 and that the part itself is around $350 due to it being made out of stainless steel. I have found aftermarket aluminum pans for $60-75 and my question is are they okay to use? I mean it is a 15 year old car and I am reluctant to spend top dollar if something else would work as well. Thank you in advance for any help!

You don't need a new pan, just use a time-sert or even a helicoil. This happens all the time and I've never heard of anyone replacing the pan for it. Aluminum is much softer than stainless and would dent much more easily if you hit something, and a dent near the pickup tube will cause problems. Use grease on the tap to catch shavings and dump a qt of oil in after you finish to flush it out just in case

It may also be possible to drill and tap to the next larger size (M14) threaded hole. I believe your OEM plug thread size is M12.5-1.25. However, if you've never done this before, you can have an independent auto repair shop mechanic do it. Many have had to do this before. I've seen helicoil inserts loosen over time but someone with oil pan repair experience should know what type of repair is best.