Engine bay dropped bolt in V of engine near back

Wesley227

I was working around the water heater valve and dropped my ratchet down inside the V of the engine bay. My guess is it’s sitting near the starter if it’s possible there is an opening to the starter at the back! Well I don’t mind that she’s back up in there under it as long as she won’t cause any fuss because frankly I’m tired! Anyone wanna comment on the condition of it!? Will it mess anything up driving!?!?

If you'll forgive the mess in this photo, it shows the valley under the manifold on my 98 LS400; there's no place for a rachet to fall in or anything (worst case I can think of is it vibrating over and tapping on one of the knock sensors, which can be rather sensitive), but if you can take a flexible magnet and fish it out, it would save some odd rattling sounds and general headache for you.

A magnet should fit just fine along the openings at the base of the manifold (probably the same place it dropped in, I'd imagine) to fish it back out

IMG_20210810_123722.jpg

8 hours ago, Jeremy M. said:

If you'll forgive the mess in this photo, it shows the valley under the manifold on my 98 LS400; there's no place for a rachet to fall in or anything (worst case I can think of is it vibrating over and tapping on one of the knock sensors, which can be rather sensitive), but if you can take a flexible magnet and fish it out, it would save some odd rattling sounds and general headache for you.

A magnet should fit just fine along the openings at the base of the manifold (probably the same place it dropped in, I'd imagine) to fish it back out

IMG_20210810_123722.jpg

Well I appreciate it… thank you… I was working near the back of it near the fire wall around the heater valve near the right side of the V toward the back an it fell a certain way where my hands nor my small enough magnet could wiggle her back through! She is just gonna have to wait until I get the block off! I’m not to worried with it now! 

• 2 weeks later...

Funny enough, I was also recently changing the fuel filter on my Chevrolet Silverado HD and dropped the ratchet inside the engine compartment. So I had to get a neodymium magnet and get it out. It was pretty long and difficult. But I got through it.💪

Might be relevant to someone - I came across an informative article on the internet about the best fuel filter for Duramax Diesel. In it you can find information on how to replace the filter yourself and find the right one for your car. Just with it, I replaced the fuel filter on my car quickly and easily. More info here - https://southwestexpresslube.com/fuel-filter-for-duramax-diesel/

• Like 1