I have a 2008 lexus gs 350, the drivers side low beam light does not work. I discovered the fuse was blown, when I changed the fuse and turned it on again it blew the fuse again. I disconnected cable from the bulb and turned it on and it still blew,

grj

I have a 2008 lexus gs 350, the drivers side low beam light does not work. I discovered the fuse was blown, when I changed the fuse and turned it on again it blew the fuse again. I disconnected cable from the bulb and turned it on and it still blew, what's the problem? it worked fine on Thursday and on Saturday when i started to leave before daylight the light wasn't working. 

• 2 weeks later...

If your vehicle has High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs the problem may be in the "ballast" unit.  Unlike regular lamps, the HID bulbs are powered by a ballast unit that is also located in the headlamp assembly.  If so equipped, there will be a single "fat" cable that attaches to the rear of the bulb instead of a normal socket with multiple small wires.  Note: Be careful not to touch the HID bulb itself with your bare fingers as the oil from your skin can cause bulb failure (some dispute this precaution, but why take the chance).  By the way, a dealership will charge 6 or 8 times the price for a new ballast unit over what will cost from an independent supplier.  However, a dealership may also refuse to install customer supplied parts, even if they are genuine OEM, so be sure there is a clear understanding.  Some independent repair shops have a silimar policy but are usually more willing to accoumodate the customer when the part is not directly related to vehicle safety, like brakes or suspension.  If you travel away from home a great deal and your car has HID headlights, I recommend you carry a spare ballast with you, as it is a part that may not be readily available at local parts stores and it is small enough to fit in the center colsole or glove box or somewhere in the trunk.