2006 GS300 won't start, starter won't work but all dash lights come on.

I saw a YouTube video that had this same problem that I was having. It was broken English in the title but no words in the video.

i had no engine codes, no check engine light but the starter would not even attempt to turn over when trying to start.

The diagnosis was the fuel pressure sensor which is located at n the back of the engine. To get to it you have to remove the air cleaner and the intake manifold, and then the aluminum manifold in order to get to the sensor.

Thesensor is $400+ at a lot of websites but on Amazon it was $19.95. You also need a 12 mm crush washer, $7 at Toyota or 10 for $6 on Amazon!

i was sceptical that it would work but for a couple of hours of time and $20, it was worth a shot.

The car started and ran rough for a few seconds, then died...at least the starter was working. Tried again and the engine cranked and with a couple of pumps on the pedal, it caught and is working great. The fuel was drained from the fuel rais and needed to be primed.

So far, so good.

Steve

• Like 1

A couple of hours? You must be a very experienced garage mechanic! 👍 Thanks for the tips. I wonder if that Florida heat had anything to do with the sensor failure. How many miles are on your odometer?

I am  pretty good at figuring stuff out. The fuel pressure sensor was a long shot. I don't think Florida heat had any more to do with it than any other place. The sensor is buried at the back of the block. There must be a diaphragm of some sort that regulates the ohms. The old and new sensors did not vary much when I connected an ohm meter to the leads. At that point I was thinking that I was on the wrong track but once installed and everything put back together, the car has run perfectly for 500+ miles. Once it started, I knew everything was going to be OK.

By the way, I did replace the valve cover gaskets about a year ago. There was no oil on the garage floor but the car had a smell of burned oil when my wife parked in the garage. A small amount of oil was leaking onto the exhaust manifold. So, I was aware of what needed to be done to get to the fuel pressure sensor. Yes, maybe an hour to get to the sensor and another hour to put it back together.

That's great news, Steve! Our valve cover gaskets were doing the same, a couple of years ago so I had them replaced. How many miles are on your odometer? I'm curious because if our RX has fewer miles than your car, I'll have a good idea if the same scenario happens to our vehicle. We've never had that happen to us at 133,000 miles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So my 2006 Lexus gs300 had been running rough and eating a lot of gas only getting a 11 miles to the gallon one day I went to leave and it won’t start it act like it wanted to but didn’t so had battery check it good came out two days later tried it again started right up. But then puttered and shut up and it won’t. I can’t drive it won’t start up. Do you guys have any idea what is wrong with it? I am a female, single mother, I known about it a word to.

1. Fuel Delivery Issues:

• Fuel Pump: A malfunctioning fuel pump can prevent fuel from reaching the engine. If the pump fails, your car won’t start.
    • Fuel Filter: A clogged fuel filter can restrict fuel flow, leading to starting problems.
    • Fuel Injectors: Dirty or faulty fuel injectors can affect fuel delivery.
  2. Ignition System Problems:

• Spark Plugs: Worn or fouled spark plugs can cause misfires and prevent the engine from starting.
    • Ignition Coils: Faulty ignition coils can disrupt the spark needed for combustion.
    • Ignition Switch: A faulty ignition switch may prevent power from reaching critical components.
  3. Security System Issues: Some cars have an immobilizer system that can prevent the engine from starting if it detects unauthorized access or tampering. Try the following steps:

• Key Fob: Put the key/fob close to the start button, press the button, and leave it for 10 minutes. Then turn the car off and on again to see if it starts.
    • Code Read: If the above doesn’t work, you might need a code read to identify any security-related issues.
  4. Other Possibilities:

• Timing Belt: If the timing belt has snapped, the engine won’t start.
    • Engine Sensors: Malfunctioning sensors (such as the crankshaft position sensor) can affect ignition timing and fuel delivery.

Here are some steps you can take:

• Check the Battery: Ensure it’s fully charged and in good condition.
  • Inspect the Starter Motor: Listen for any unusual sounds when you try to start the car.
  • Check Fuel Delivery: Verify that fuel is reaching the engine.
  • Scan for Error Codes: Use an OBD-II scanner to check for any stored error codes.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:20 PM, Jennifer lynn said:

So my 2006 Lexus gs300 had been running rough and eating a lot of gas only getting a 11 miles to the gallon one day I went to leave and it won’t start it act like it wanted to but didn’t so had battery check it good came out two days later tried it again started right up. But then puttered and shut up and it won’t. I can’t drive it won’t start up. Do you guys have any idea what is wrong with it? I am a female, single mother, I known about it a word to.

So I called dc precision lube today about getting a new fuel filter for my 2006 gs 300 Lexus & they told me that my Lexus didn’t have a fuel filter so I’m so confused now

So before my 2006 gs300 Lexus stop starting it was vibrating really but not engine light was on wasn’t overheating so how do I I checked to see if it is a fuel pump? Is there a diagnosis machine that will help me?