High Rpm/tranny Hesitation

I have a 1999 ES that I bought with 32000 miles on it. It now has 59,000. Recently I have noticed that it idles around 2000 RPM's when starting in the morning...takes a long time to settle down to normal...anyway at the same time when you take off it will not shift out of 2nd gear(when leaving in the morning) without really getting the RPMS high like around 3200-3600 RPM's. Once warmed up that problem goes away. Then you notice that while either slowing down to turn and then getting on the gas that the tranny needs time to catch up(really bad hesitation). My check engine light /trac light came on the other week with a code of 1155. Autozone said it was something with the air/fuel mixture??? but could not pin point it because the code was over 1000??? Dealer only in other words.

The cars engine really has a slow response when giving it gas...almost like something is bogging it down, sounds like an old 4 barrel???? Still hauls !Removed! but is slow to respond..delayed reaction???

My question is could these be related problems? Does any of the air/fuel sensors determine how the tranny acts?

Any suggestion or tips well appreciated, thanks Brehmster :cheers:

Your transmission is completely normal. The delay in shifting when cold was programmed into the computer in the original design.

Code P01155 is an Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (BANK 1 SENSOR 1)

Simply put: you got a bad or sluggish O2 sensor. Get it replaced ($$). It will effect the air fuel mixture needed. This may aid to your acceleration problem. In the long run it can result in premature cat. converter failure ($$$$).

O2 sensors are easy to replace if you know which one. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the O2 sensor in the manifold that faces the firewall.

you can get sensors a little cheaper on the web from places like

www.irontoad.com

www.lexus-parts.com

www.tradenation.com

you can contact a member here, JPI, as he distributes parts on this site.

you will be able to rent or buy a proper O2 socket from AutoZone.

good luck

steviej

:D amf1932 thanks, that sounds right as I read similar prob in a past posting

OK guys here is what I did...Went and had tranny flushed($70).

Old fluid was not that bad, maybe a little dark but hey when I got the car back and drove it a while the shifts were more precise and alot firmer where before they kinda just "slipped" into gear(especially 2nd)...this is strange because I have had many a car that I had tranny fluid changed on and it did not make any difference at all in the way the tranny performed.????? Glad it helped though.

StevieJ, thanks for the diagnosis I will give it a try and post my results :)

be careful with the "universal" O2 sensor, they are not always universal.

good luck.

As for the stubborn sensor, try little bits of liquid wrench on the COLD threads over a period of several hours. Use an O2 socket and a large extension on the handle. Be careful again....don't break it off or strip the threads.

steviej