ML system/amplifier - NO SOUND (bought a different amp, still no sound)

I have an '04 with the NAV that I recently purchased and need your advise on a problem with the sound/navi system.

The problem is as follows:

• There is no sound at all (from any of the systems). Previous owner claimed that the ML amp was at fault and that he sent it out for repair but never got it back. I purchased the 040 version from an LS430 as I read (and saw a video) saying that it is compatible. However, now that I installed it, I still have no sound coming from anywhere.

Things I've checked/noticed:

• All three fuses (one in the driver's side and in the engine compartment) and all are fine.
  • I noticed that when I switch the key on to ACC, the amp's cooling fan turns on momentarily and shuts right off within 1-2 seconds (not sure if that's normal?)
  • I've noticed that when I try to increase the volume, there is no indication (a number or a bar) on the screen to indicate that the volume is in fact being raised. Not sure if that is the way these systems work? but I highly doubt that any car maker would make a stereo system that doesn't show what the volume level is.

Questions:

• Is there a way to troubleshoot the amp itself to either rule it out or point to it as the culprit?
  • If I go aftermarket (tesla screen, T'EYES CC3, Grom V-Line, etc..), which one should I get? also, do I still need to install and fix my amplifier issue or will the new system do away with that amp?

Any input is welcomed, and appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

• 1 month later...

BUMP - anybody? I'm hitting a roadblock here. I've contacted a few local stereo shops and they don't seem to have any experience with retrofitting the ML sound system. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

I just don't want to throw money into an aftermarket head unit and then still have a no sound situation due to amp issue

Edited by arielsdv
added comments

• 4 weeks later...

Bump - Same issue here, tried new amp, computer said both are fine however can only runs momentarily on it. Fuses replaced and speaker works because Nav plays (bypasses amp) head unit everything works but doesn’t display volume going up or down

On 3/2/2022 at 10:43 AM, arielsdv said:

BUMP - anybody? I'm hitting a roadblock here. I've contacted a few local stereo shops and they don't seem to have any experience with retrofitting the ML sound system. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

I just don't want to throw money into an aftermarket head unit and then still have a no 

Sorry TinaTank, it appears nobody really chimes-in on this forum unfortunately. Please please reach out if you find any further info. At least you have some sound coming from your system - I have zilch, nada!

Lexus Owners Club
This post was recognized by Lexus Owners Club!

ClayL was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 35 points.

Hi Arielsdv and Tinatank,

I have the same dreaded GX470 no sound problem.  Just replaced amp with eBay amp did not fix.  Fan on amp spins for a second when key turned on on both original and replacement amp.  I have ordered a second used replacement and I am waiting to install it.

You probably also have these conditions: (1) volume indicator on audio screen does not indicate volume is being turned up (2) equalizer settings work perfectly when they are being adjusted, (of course as unit stays silent) (3) with amp removed, volume display not present, equalizer screen can be seen, but not adjusted and adjustment levels not indicated (4) fuses are good.  To me, this implies that part of the amp is malfunctioning, and that the amp is ok otherwise because with no amp you get no option to change the equalizer settings.  The maddening part is that it is possible that the replacement amp has the same problem.  If my second replacement amp fixes the problem, I will be back to post the fix.  I think it is safe to say that it has to be the radio unit or the amp.  All I have been reading everywhere seems to suggest that there is somehow some mysterious wiring anomaly (gremlins) that is/are outside of what can be attributed to the radio unit or amp.  I am doubtful of that but admit anything is possible.  The fix will come when the volume display registers volume change when the knob is turned, which is what is not happening now.  I am sorry my posting comes with no solution, but the sharing of this type of information may lead to some genius getting it solved.

4 hours ago, ClayL said:

Hi Arielsdv and Tinatank,

I have the same dreaded GX470 no sound problem.  Just replaced amp with eBay amp did not fix.  Fan on amp spins for a second when key turned on on both original and replacement amp.  I have ordered a second used replacement and I am waiting to install it.

You probably also have these conditions: (1) volume indicator on audio screen does not indicate volume is being turned up (2) equalizer settings work perfectly when they are being adjusted, (of course as unit stays silent) (3) with amp removed, volume display not present, equalizer screen can be seen, but not adjusted and adjustment levels not indicated (4) fuses are good.  To me, this implies that part of the amp is malfunctioning, and that the amp is ok otherwise because with no amp you get no option to change the equalizer settings.  The maddening part is that it is possible that the replacement amp has the same problem.  If my second replacement amp fixes the problem, I will be back to post the fix.  I think it is safe to say that it has to be the radio unit or the amp.  All I have been reading everywhere seems to suggest that there is somehow some mysterious wiring anomaly (gremlins) that is/are outside of what can be attributed to the radio unit or amp.  I am doubtful of that but admit anything is possible.  The fix will come when the volume display registers volume change when the knob is turned, which is what is not happening now.  I am sorry my posting comes with no solution, but the sharing of this type of information may lead to some genius getting it solved.

Clay, thank you thank you!! I will eagerly await your input regarding the second amp. I have been fearful of pulling the trigger on a second unit out of not knowing if the amp is the issue. I saw a few videos where they say that the amp off an LS430 would be compatible etc. I also saw a video where the guy stated that his original amp was at fault and pointed out how the fan would kick on for a second or two and turn off etc. He then installed the LS430 amp and the fan would turn on and stay on. 

The LS amp I purchased would do this, it would turn on and not stay on so I'm thinking it too is bad. I just don't know man.. It is frustrating as hell!! Had I known this, I honestly would not have purchased the car - I don't want to spend $1500-$2000 on getting a complete new system with new speakers and wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again and I have the penultimate solution!!!  I installed the second used amp off eBay and it did the same thing!  (No volume using knob or steering wheel volume control).  Figuring it now has to be the radio, I ordered a used radio off eBay.  It took some days to get it.  Dreading the dash dissection, I plowed ahead fearlessly.  Once the new radio was connected and the amp re-installed I crossed my fingers and hit the power.  A sound of static filled the car!  SUCCESS!!!!  I of course tuned to the first station I could find and the Eagles came sounding in with Take it Easy.  While I was waiting on the radio to come, I had called a service rep at Lexus.  He said that if you replace the amp and you still get nothing, your next move is to replace the radio.  I sent money to both of the eBay sellers for returning their amps, which were probably good.  A fan on an amp that turns on for a second and then shuts off DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THE AMP IS BAD.  In my case it was the radio all along.  After the radio replacement, all functions of the Mark Levinson sound system and Navigation system work perfectly.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:19 AM, ClayL said:

Hello again and I have the penultimate solution!!!  I installed the second used amp off eBay and it did the same thing!  (No volume using knob or steering wheel volume control).  Figuring it now has to be the radio, I ordered a used radio off eBay.  It took some days to get it.  Dreading the dash dissection, I plowed ahead fearlessly.  Once the new radio was connected and the amp re-installed I crossed my fingers and hit the power.  A sound of static filled the car!  SUCCESS!!!!  I of course tuned to the first station I could find and the Eagles came sounding in with Take it Easy.  While I was waiting on the radio to come, I had called a service rep at Lexus.  He said that if you replace the amp and you still get nothing, your next move is to replace the radio.  I sent money to both of the eBay sellers for returning their amps, which were probably good.  A fan on an amp that turns on for a second and then shuts off DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THE AMP IS BAD.  In my case it was the radio all along.  After the radio replacement, all functions of the Mark Levinson sound system and Navigation system work perfectly.

Clay, you are the real hero my man!! I will most definitely explore this option (now with more confidence thanks to you). I do want Bluetooth connectivity so I found that there is a device that allows you to connect an aftermarket (single din) head unit which will replace the radio portion and modernize it with Bluetooth etc. It is made by "Beat Sonic" and it is the MVA-81. 

https://www.beatsonicusa.com/mva-81.html

I would love to replace the entire thing and use something like that "Tesla unit" with the separate climate controls but I'll be honest, I'm afraid to go that route.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:19 AM, ClayL said:

I too am having the radio sporadically not function on my 2015 GS 350.  May I ask what the cost is for a replacement radio?

Thank you

Arielsdv - thanks for the compliment and nice work finding the MVA-81 adapter.  That looks like the holy grail solution if you replace the radio with an aftermarket unit.   The only downside is that you will not be able to control the audio with the nav system as I read the audio button will be disabled.  I am thinking that is not too steep a price to pay.  Grasshopper, you have managed to snatch the stone from my hand and may now leave the temple.

1 hour ago, Ken E said:

I too am having the radio sporadically not function on my 2015 GS 350.  May I ask what the cost is for a replacement radio?

Thank you

You could either get a used original head unit (the one with the cassette player on it), or you could get this thing MVA-81, plug it into the rear of your navigation unit, and then install a modern single din head unit with bluetooth and other options