2004 ES330 Instrument Cluster Dim

I'm looking for some insight into the instrument cluster on our 2004 ES330.  In daylight the panel can hardly be seen.  It's ok at night when the lights are on.

The dimmer control works in that it does vary the brightness but even at max it's too dim.

It does not appear that any of the backlit bulbs are burned out as there are no shadows or dark areas seen when the headlights are on at night.

I've tried searching but here in this forum I've not found any info related to the problem.  Too many potential posts, I suppose.  Google searching has come up short as well.  Most of the related topics there seem to deal with older years with different configurations.

I looked at the dimmer switch and read four volts DC across the terminals.  I don't know what's normal there.  I would have suspected it should be twelve volts but not knowing how that circuitry is wired, who knows.  And I can't find anything which tells me the voltage of the bulbs used.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?  Or know where I can find the right resources?

Thanks,

17 minutes ago, RX400h said:

Dan, have you checked relevant fuses?

How would one find which are relevant fuses?  My suspicion is not fuses for the lights actually work and the dimmer works as well.  It is simply too dim.  Typically when a fuse is open, the circuit the fuse allows power to will not work at all.

But is there something else I may be missing?

Thanks.