Oil Cooler Line - replacement

I just purchased my 1st Lexus....used 2007 RX350 FWD

The seller had just had Lexus dealership (Performance Lexus, Cincinnati) replace the oil cooler line due to oil leak.  And, this is one reason I purchased the used vehicle.

But after a week i was noticing oil leak and removed all the plastic under coverings.  I also performed an oil change.

I've noticed that the hardest to reach nut (on stud) holding the oil cooler pipes (in between the dipstick & oil pan) appears to keep collecting oil.  This is making think that the dealer was not able to correctly torque this nut and/or not seat the gasket correctly.

Can I, should I, contact the dealer to repair?

RX350_oilcoolerleark.jpg

Edited by wtruck

Our valve cover gaskets were seeping, about a year ago so we had them replaced. Your situation seems to be that you are not absolutely sure where the leak is coming from. If you take your RX to the dealership and they determine that the leak is not coming from their repair, they will charge you for their inspection time. However, if that leak were coming from another source, the tech should've pointed it out to the service advisor.

I'd give them a call and explain what you are seeing. They may not charge you for an inspection, given the short length of time after the repair.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the RX350 to Performance Lexus (Cincinnati) and they inspected the oil cooler line repair.  They said that it is ok, but, that.....

• oil cooler throttle body O-ring was leaking
  • valve cover gaskets had some seepage
  • timing chain cover was/is leaking
  • power steering line is leaking

$4000 estimate

I had the O-ring replaced on the oil cooler throttle body.

When I returned home with the vehicle it immediately discharged antifreeze.

I found that the radiator neck filler had broken its lower tip.

I replaced the neck filler with Dorman 902-408.

i.e. 

The neck filler has blown off one more time since replacing.  

I had left the original plastic seal on the throat of the radiator nipple that the neck filler connects onto, along with the new O-ring that came with the Dorman part.  So, I removed the plastic gasket (and have now lost it).

I plan to flush the coolant system this week along with a proper burping.

i.e.

You're getting there, Jeff. Yes, a gasket and an o-ring cannot be used together. By the way, for the tasks you do not wish to do, a Toyota dealership or good independent shop can do the work for quite a bit less than a Lexus dealership.