Help Warning Light On

Someone please help

the ! light came on in my 98 gs400. I do not have US owner manual as the car is from Canada (French). SO I do not know what is going down. Yes I am in the process of getting a US English manual.

When I came home, I noticed that my DRL were not on. However the high beams still worked. In 98 the low beam is the High beam @ 50%. So I popped the bulbs out and they did not appear to be burned out (only a slight ash spot on the top of both bulbs/ but nothing looked broken). 9005 is single filiment correct? Plus I have never seen two bulbs go out at the same time. Any Suggestions?

I looked at all the fuses under the hood and none were burnt out. I am also going to replace the bulbs (9005) to see if something went freaky with them.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks

Well, on 1998 US cars, the DRL is definately NOT the high beam at 50%. The low beams are the outtermost lights. The high beams are the innermost lights, and the "running lights" equivalent to DRL's are two seperate bulbs located in the lower part of the high beam housings.

On Canadian spec. cars, there are several DRL relays. 2 are located on the harness behind the driver's side headlamp and others are located in the fuse boxes under the hood. I suspect you have a bad relay. The service manual suggests first checking the headlight control relay located in one of the fuse boxes under the hood. If you can find it, you might remove it from its socket, wiggle it, or tap on it to see if you can get it working. If you do, you can suspect it as your problem. I have noted the other relays related to the DRL as well. The system is rather complicated to diagnose, so I would suggest that you visit your local stealer if you don't figure it out.

Page 1, Relay A - Headlight Control Relay

Page 2, Relay E - Headlight Dimmer

Page 2, Fuse 1 & 2 - Headlight Left & Right

relay_location.pdf

my drl's work fine but i never use them as i drive with full headlights 100% i want to be seen so i don;t get my babies hit.

It is more than likely a relay or fuse that has been removed as some owners don;t want it.

Well I changed the 9005 bulbs and no dice so it went to the dealership where I bought the car today. If they do not figure it out I'll bring it to Lexus after atempting the relay check.

Thanks

Well we figured out what the ploblem was. I feel stupid on one hand however I never owned a car w/ DRL and the only manual I had was in French, so I don't feel that bad.

The emergency brake had been put on slightly (I must have kicked it) causing the (!) light to come on and the DRL to turn off. I did not think of theis becasue I never use the Ebrake its an automatic. The dealership felt bad so they ordered me a New owner's manual in English and only charged me $40 labor as they went through the whole car and said everything was fine.

Oh come on, they shouldn't have charged you at all for that. What ever happened to Lexus customer satisfaction?

It is kinda' funny that in canada, the light is a "!." In the USA, it says "Brake."

Yeah I was a little disappointed. If you look at US cars it says BRAKE with (!) above or below it very small. Oh well live and learn. Glad I got a English Manual coming soon. Hopefully that will stop me from having to pay $$ for stupid things that could be solved if I could read the manual.

Hope some of you got a laugh at this