[my subject title was cut short = Electrical burn smell inside '96 LS400 after turning the car over (attempting to start the car) ]
When I arrived home one evening - my '96 LS400...
I was driving around all day taken care of errands (mix of <5mi, or >30mi). I guess I can be thankful that I made it home vs. this happening somewhere else. When I turn the key to ACC, the steering wheel auto moved (as usual), the dash / everything lights up. But the moment I turned it "on", everything shut off - no headlights, no dash, no interior lights, etc. When I stepped out of the car, I had to manually lock the door.
After about 20 min, I tried the remote unlock and it worked, When I opened the door, the interior light came on. When it turned the key to ACC everything lite up. When I turned the key 'on', poof everything shut off again. I tried the 20min wait again, but nothing this time.
When I first sat in the car, I could smell a hint of an electrical short / burning smell. Maybe a wire attached to the ignition key is shorted out. Or the motor for the steering wheel burned up. I did not have a chance to look at the fuses (this evening).
Any thoughts re: the burning smell? Or any other suggestions?