1996 LS400 intermittent starting

rds607

My 1996 LS400 abruptly developed an intermittent start problem a few days ago.

1) When I turn the key to start it goes through the first three key positions fine, but when turned into the last position everything "dies": the dashboard goes blank, lights turn off, ...nothing works. 

1.1) This is usually accompanied by a "snap" that sounds like an electrical arc from somewhere in the engine compartment, but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the relay/fuse module.

1.2) This problem happens whether the engine is warm or cold. I've tried doing it at night in my garage to see if I can locate an arc, but turning it on & off 10 times did not result in the problem.

1.3) The relays in the relay module all seem fine, and when the problem doesn't occur the engine starts immediately.

2) When the problem does occur the car loses all power, lights, dashboard, etc. But if I switch the key to the 2nd/3rd positions (back & forth 1 or 2 times) the dash comes back on along with all other electrical items.

2.1) If I now turn the key to the 4th position (start) it will either (a) start normally, ...or (b) I'll hear an arc and everything will go dead again. Sometimes I will have to do this several times before the car will start, ...or it will not start. If I leave it for awhile it may start right up.

I'm 75 y/o and don't have lots of $$$ so I'm worried about what it will cost me if I take it to a Toyota dealership in Butte, MT (65 miles from where I live) since they may end up changing parts indiscriminantly ...costing me $$ that I don't have. I set up an appointment for Thurs,morning anyway, but am hoping someone can point me to the cause of this problem first. HELP!!!

I put the above link to show a potential problem, but I think your problem could be the clamps at the battery, just make sure you don't have the key in the ignition switch and do roll the windows up and close the doors and don't lock them. Start by removing the clamps and cleaning the terminals and the inside of the clamps and use a battery terminal protectant on them. If that doesn't cure it then even where the cable is crimped to the eye it can corrode. As well as the fusible links just look at how corroded they look in the above post. Arcing is the sign of a bad connection that is demanding a lot of current, and that is the grounds from battery to the engine because the starter is demanding it and the main power wire as well. That's were to look. Start at those battery connections. And make sure they be tight when done.

(click on the gray bar at Fuse issues)

Craig, ...which link? I was able to see Angel's photos, and had already checked all of the battery connections.

I haven't experienced the problem now for 3 days. Yesterday morning I drove the car to the Toyota dealership in Butte, MT and they were unable  to cause the problem to occur.

I'm beginning to wonder if (a) the wiggling of wires and cables, and/or (b) the arcs that created the "snapping" sound (which may have vaporized a metal filament that was causing a short to ground) ...may have eliminated the problem. When the problem was occurring it seemed to discharge a large portion of the harness since all electrical functions seemed th stop. But when I would turn the key to the 3rd switch position the dash would become fully illuminated again after about 2 seconds.

The Toyota people also speculated that the problem may have been associated with the ignition switch itself, so I'm guessing they manipulated athe wires behind the dashboard while trying to replicate the problem.

Angel, ...Thank you fo your suggestions.

Now I'm praying the problem doesn't come back, ...especially when I use the car to get me to some remote fishing location where there's no phone service.

Thanks for your help.

Richard