Weird Rear brake warning light problem

Couple days ago, the rear brake warning light on my 2002 ES300 came on. This happened before so I changed the light bulb and the warning light went away. The next day I noticed that the same light doesn't come on any more. But this time the brake warning light doesn't come on. I changed the light bulb again to make sure the bulb was not a problem. But that doesn't help.

Could somebody suggest what is going on? Is there a fuse? The other side works just fine. I was going to disconnect the battery and see if that will reset the electrical system in case it is confused.

I would start by checking the condition of the bulb socket and the wires leading to it.  Maybe use a 12 volt test light to see if power is coming though the positive wire leading to the socket.  I assume you have verified that you are using the correct bulb type - 7443 per http://www.sylvania.com

I am sure I am using the correct type of bulb. I verified this by changing the other side to and it is good. I will use a DVM to check if the power if coming when the light is switched on. If the problem is with the socket. Is there anyway to fix the socket without changing the whole fixture? When I changed the bulb yesterday I saw a spark so there was power. I did this with the thing switched on. May be that is not a good thing to do. I thought may be I don't have to turn if off when changing the bulb, since it is only 12V.

Thanks for the input.

The attached diagram shows the components and part numbers.  Toyodiy.com is a very useful website.  I assume that it is still necessary to register in order to see the diagrams but you can try it for yourself.

2002 ES300 Rear Combination Lamp diagram.jpg