ratling noise from rightside of engine around belts

river

I have es300 1996, yesterday it shuddered and start making rattling noise while I was on highway. I pulled the car and engine stooped and after that when I try to crank it crank but no start or if start it die down. I towed the car  and at home i tried starting again and it sound like it is coming from alternator I took the alternator to oriel y and it was fine along with battery. so I put it back and left the serpentine belt off and cranked again on battery, same ratling noise coming on close inspection it looks like either coming from crankshaft pulley or timing belt cover (may be water pump). since Pulley IS NOT WOBBLING SO i DON'T THINK bearing or pulley is the problem.

can anyone help here is the link to you tube video

river,

Stop driving the car until its fixed!

From the noise and the obvious engine vibrations going on, there are a lot of things that may be the problem, some of them can cause MAJOR engine damage.

The timing belt may have stripped a cog or two, putting the cam timing out and causing what appears to be a misfire from the way the engine shakes. Or perhaps one of the idler pulleys has a really bad bearing, making the noise and changing the engine timing slightly.

Then again, you could have a bad fuel injector, coil on plug, or spark plug causing the vibration, or you may have dropped an engine valve.

One thing for sure, until you track down the issue and get it fixed, you are tempting fate to be running the engine at all.

You need a mechanic to read the trouble codes, if any, and then diagnose what the problem is before you do anything else. Good Luck!

Thanks for the response.one of my son friend came in and after hearing the noise, shake and raving up the engine noise increased and a little smoke came from valve cover he said he smell the oil burning snd he thinks it is bad lifter making noise. What you think? Is it expensive to replace them ? Is it easy DIY?

i am not driving the car and only cranked up few times just to diagnose the issue.

river,

A mechanic (not necessarily a Lexus/expensive shop rate one) can diagnose your problem.

I alluded to a "dropped valve" as a possibility, but a broken valve spring or broken collets (hold the valve spring cap in place to keep the valve from dropping unless pushed down by the cam lobe) amount to the same thing. The engine would not idle or run smoothly, and would have a miss since that cylinder wouldn't fire properly, hence the noise and the shake.

But it could be something else entirely, and to even suggest a cost to fix it at this stage is unwise and impossible.

I say again, don't run the engine unless a mechanic is present to do so, to diagnose what is wrong.

At this point get the car to a good independent mechanic and let him inspect it. His diagnosis and the possible costs to correct things, the present value of your car, and your situation financially and time to correct the issue will dictate how you solve things. Best of Luck! Hope its a simple, cheap fix.