Air Flow Sensor Screen

I just finished my BFI intake. I used a cutoff wheel to carve out the front of the air cleaner assembly. If I were to do it again I would probably use a hole saw or jig saw. Little black plastic bits are all over the place. My question is: Has anyone removed the screen from the intake immediately after the air flow sensor? It's a common mod on C4 Corvettes. Probably not worth a lot and I would only consider doing it if I was pursueing all out power. What about removing the air box completely and extending an air intake tube with a cone filter down in front of the ducting next to the fog lights?

That screen is a critical part of the karmen air metering system. People that have removed have had lots of problems as far as I have read. My advice - leave it there. Unless you plan on replacing the entire metering system with something else.

The primary problem with a BFI system on the SC400 is that when you increase the amount of air in the air box, the volume you gain is hot air from the engine compartment. The BFI modification must also include enclosing the area around the the new air intake so that only outside cooler air is allowed in. This is the same problem with the cone filters. They do not intake the outside cooler air.

:cheers: