Help ! Battery Won't Hold Charge After I Tried Replacing Fact

Help! Ok this turned into one big mess..I had a amp and sub hooked up to my stock cd player but that wasnt good enough for me so I had some take out the cd player for a aftermarket cd player. Well dude never finished. ..wiring is messed up but thats not the main problem. My battery won't hold a charge. I have replaced the Battery and still nothing. Within few hours battery is dead..someone please help!

Hi Tabatha and welcome.

Are you driving the car or is the engine running as the battery loses it's charge? Or does the battery discharge while the car is just sitting in the driveway?

With the first, the alternator or other parts of the charging system could be bad. If this had happened only one time, and replacing the battery fixed the problem, obviously the battery was bad. But since you put in a new battery and it still has the problem the new battery is fine.

Having said all that, this is the type of problem you would expect if someone had left the dome light on or the radio is drawing power all the time even though it appears to be off. I would take the car to your Lexus dealer or a shop that works on Lexus. They will need to trace the path of the battery charge system for any problems.

Paul

Obviously some kind of dead short probably from messing with wiring. I once hooked up a tape player and it made smoke come out of my dashboard because some of the black tape I connected the wires with came loose. Oh yeah, it also ate 8 track tapes regularly.

Yeah unfortunately the problem began after I had someone mess with the wiring. Now it loses charge mainly after I have it parked for while. Once it did die out while I was driving but that was also a bad battery. I noticed the blower motor was running after I shut the car off at first to. So I believe it's all in wiring. Plus i had two people say they tested my alternator and it was fine.Unfortunately I can't find someone who knows how to fix it nor can I afford to take it in. Talk about a mess! All this to switch up cd player and subs which are not done either.so frustrating! Thanks for the help guys :)

Obviously some kind of dead short probably from messing with wiring. I once hooked up a tape player and it made smoke come out of my dashboard because some of the black tape I connected the wires with came loose. Oh yeah, it also ate 8 track tapes regularly.

A what????.....8 Track?? I'm sorry, but I don't know what that is. LOL If I could go back to that era, I wouldn't!!

no kidding. If the audio systems we had then were anything 1/4 as nice as factory systems now, we would have been the coolest kids on town.I've messed around with quite a few wires, not always with good results. Now you need Edd China.

As Denny said earlier, the battery almost has to be constantly drained by something.

This is amazingly simple to happen. A few years back, I pulled in the garage one evening, and didn't realize I had left the dome light on. When I went out in the morning, the battery was dead as a door nail. It took me a few minutes to notice the dome light, which by now was almost to weak to see.

It was the dealer that explained the situation and I haven't made that mistake again. A thorough inspection of the charging system is needed. If there is a short in the system it should be pretty apparent.

Please come back people and let us know what you find.

Paul