I Want To Hear About Heater Core Problems

Exhaustgases

Bob, what possible reason would you have to post this.... I cant think of any issue that has had as many postings as this... you could probably read for several days and not cover them all..... and there is nothing new out there.... but to each his own... Ha, my reply is as useless as yours..... guess we are both bored.... have a good day.. cheers.

Bob, Could be me but I really think that if you flush your cooling system every 5 years or 50,000 miles, then you are much more unlikely to experience problems long term. As I'm sure you are aware, heater cores are a nasty bear of a job. I have personally had several heater core failures over the years, although all with GM cars. I have never heard of a heater core failure on a Toyota/Lexus car, nor Honda or Nissan either?

Usually the first indication of an impending failure is the windshield begins to fog up, especially in colder weather and at night. Add to that the sickly, sweet smell of the coolant and the feeling from knowing what's next. What is next is that it start leaking onto the floorboard of the passenger side. At this point people in warmer climates often bypass the heater core and run without heat. In Virginia, your vehicle will not pass the state safety inspection as the defrosters are all but useless without heat.

Denny

I was just curious what years if any LS had more failures, I have read about a few and we all know that its probably easier to remove the engine and transmission than to change a heater core in these cars. Also I was wondering if the type of coolant played a role.

People want to poo poo green prestone in an LS I have never had a problem using it in any vehicle. I have 2 90's that have it, I did the one years ago just not knowing as I wasn't really into the Lexus thing back then etc etc. and the other was acquired with green already in. And yes in due time its getting changed to correct stuff but makes no sense now till I do the other work, T belt etc.

I've never heard of LS400 heater cores going south, nor have I had issues with either of the LS' I've owned--the first one I drove nearly 150k (sold this spring at 300k) and my current LS that has about 200k miles on it.

The only cars I've owned that had a history of flaky heater cores were the old Saab 9000s, which of course, were one of those cars that seemingly were started on the assembly line with said heater core on a hook, and the car built around it, for an extra high degree of difficulty to replace. ;-)

Paul