Lx-570 'extremely Minor Rust'

Fish30114

I am considering purchasing a 2011 LX-570. This vehicle has lived in Illinois for the last 4 years. The CarMax folks say that it has 'extremely minor rust' underneath.

I am looking for advice on what to look for in terms of a go/no-go decision regarding purchasing this vehicle. The CarMax folks say that they wouldn't sell it if this were going to be a problem, that any car has CarMax standards to meet prior to sale. For you people that have a 570 from this region, in longer ownership perhaps(earlier version model possibly) has the rust become an issue for you?

Any advice/input appreciated.

I am considering purchasing a 2011 LX-570. This vehicle has lived in Illinois for the last 4 years. The CarMax folks say that it has 'extremely minor rust' underneath.

I am looking for advice on what to look for in terms of a go/no-go decision regarding purchasing this vehicle. The CarMax folks say that they wouldn't sell it if this were going to be a problem, that any car has CarMax standards to meet prior to sale. For you people that have a 570 from this region, in longer ownership perhaps(earlier version model possibly) has the rust become an issue for you?

Any advice/input appreciated.

4 years in Illinois would have left enough "minor" salt on the undercarriage to take care of almost every French fry in north America. I would be patient and keep looking for a truck from someplace other than the rust belt.

hth

Steve

Steve, I appreciate the input. I have already fronted the money for the transfer fee-$450-so I still have the right to pass, but I'd lose my $450, if it isn't what they say it is. I can be patient, it seems like there is a small number of 570's coming up for sale--in my budget zone and in general.

Thanks again--Don

Don...As part of Carmax's checkout, do they put the truck up on a rack and pull the belly pans?? Can they crawl under the truck and send you a few pictures?

I've seen more 570's for sale in the Seattle area than just about any place else. And, I'm in the same boat as you...thinking of either a low mileage -07 470 v. an early 570 at this time. Though the more I look at the newer model, the more junk I see...e.g., drink cooler, "crawl" mode, etc.

Good luck with whatever you get. It took me 6+ months to find my current LX.

Steve

Steve, that's a good question, I guess I'll find out tomorrow--the salesman from CarMax just called and the truck is in. I hear you on the drink cooler in the console and other stuff--one of my pet peeves is the folding but NON removable third row seats--cargo killer I call them... I just got an option on a 2011 with only 37K miles from south Georgia for 43K, and I also am considering a 2013 with 71K miles-for 56....to you and others which one should I go with the 2011 w/37K miles or the 2013 w/71K...I like the color on the 2013 a little better, it is also a Ga. born and raised truck

Steve, that's a good question, I guess I'll find out tomorrow--the salesman from CarMax just called and the truck is in. I hear you on the drink cooler in the console and other stuff--one of my pet peeves is the folding but NON removable third row seats--cargo killer I call them... I just got an option on a 2011 with only 37K miles from south Georgia for 43K, and I also am considering a 2013 with 71K miles-for 56....to you and others which one should I go with the 2011 w/37K miles or the 2013 w/71K...I like the color on the 2013 a little better, it is also a Ga. born and raised truck

Assuming both have regular maintenance records (which you can get with a VIN and the Lexus owners' website...or see if a local dealer will give you a print-out), I'd go with the lower mileage truck...$13K less money and close to half the mileage. ;) For me, a black truck would be a no-go from the git-go.

OT, I'm in a similar boat as you...started looking for a low mileage '06-'07 LX or LC...found I could get into a 200-series for not much more money. I was not aware that the third row seats are fold-over...that obviates the ability to add drawers that you can sleep on and stay level...not to mention more hassle to carry your best friends in the back. :(

My LX's rear seats stayed in the truck long enough for me to remove them and store them in the attic on the day I bought the LX...same with the running boards.

So far, I'm getting the vibe that maybe the 570 is a cross between a 100-series and a Sequoia.

Report back with what you choose. ;)

Steve

I would not buy ANY vehicle that had lived in a snow zone. What may look like minor rust now will continue at an increasingly rapid pace. They can't get squat for that old a vehicle in the north because the people their know they are junk. That is why they ship the vehicles from the south to the north to sell and visa versa. I'd say no and I mean a big no unless they knocked off like ten grand.

I would not buy ANY vehicle that had lived in a snow zone. What may look like minor rust now will continue at an increasingly rapid pace. They can't get squat for that old a vehicle in the north because the people their know they are junk. That is why they ship the vehicles from the south to the north to sell and visa versa. I'd say no and I mean a big no unless they knocked off like ten grand.

I don't disagree in the slightest...see post #2 above.

For what you pay for the truck, not to mention that you can drive a well maintained LC or LX for quite a while, I do think it's worthwhile to get one from a generally rust-free geographical location...California, Vegas, the Pacific northwest, etc.

Steve

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the Savannah GA born and raised 2011 LX. I feel good about the condition of the vehicle, and with only 37K miles, it will last me a long time at the rate of miles I put on a vehicle anymore. Now I guess I want to figure out how to swap the headlights for HID bulb versions!!!

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the Savannah GA born and raised 2011 LX. I feel good about the condition of the vehicle, and with only 37K miles, it will last me a long time at the rate of miles I put on a vehicle anymore. Now I guess I want to figure out how to swap the headlights for HID bulb versions!!!

Congratulations on the 2011.

HID low beams were/are the best money I've spent on my series 100. Stock low beams were the worst I've seen...prior to the LX taking over that title, worst lamps were on a 6 volt Massey-Ferguson tractor...

Go to DDM Tuning.com for step-by-step instructions. You essentially mount the ballasts on each side of the engine compartment, drill a 7/8" hole through the plastic low beam covers, and run the wiring to the HID bulbs through a rubber grommet. I used 6000K bulbs for the low beams and the end result was that lighting was so much improved over the oem lights that now the high beams don't give me much more light than the low's.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the link, I am a pretty strong DIY'er but I really would like to find an aftermarket shop that could do the HID conversion for me...I am already enjoying my LX 570 very much--I don't know if it's the case but even though it's supposedly the same engine as I had in my 2008 Land Cruiser, it seems to have more 'juice'--seems to be quicker acceleration wise, and is definitely smoother--now to learn all the features and functionality!