Glass Replacement

smack

I've got a 2004 IS-300 that had the passenger side rear quarter panel smashed. (Thank you, Maryland, for making me take all the tint out, enticing anyone with any random junk that might be in the back.)

Safelite says there is only one replacement rear panel glass in the entire country (!) and that just the part itself will cost $350. Now, maybe this is legit. It's not a common car. But I can't help but be reminded of when I had to replace the rear windshield wiper. Every place told me they couldn't get the part, that I had to go the dealer. Since the dealer wouldn't respond to me, I finally went to Advance Auto Parts, picked up a wiper that was the right size, and it snapped on perfectly (as the clerk was telling me they didn't carry the part and couldn't order it).

Is there any possibility this panel could be much more readily available (and cheaper) than the official dealer information, and if so is there any way for me to find out rather than simply taking Safelite's word for it? Once I get this replaced, will it really then be impossible to replace ever again because the whole country will be out of stock?

Hi Stephen.

Tough question! I have no idea if the glass part is as unavailable as every one seems. My first call would be your insurance adjuster and explain the problem. Their situation is to restore you to the original condition before the accident. They may be able to hook up with a source.

A second place to check out are the "wreckers", salvage yards. You can go online and in some cases, go through their inventory.

Third, Look at e-bay. Many people have parts they've taken out of other cars for resale.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

One thing more, you might go to "Club Lexus" and see if you can find any help their.

Come back and let us know what you find out.

Paul

Uh oh. What is the deal with the Maryland tint? My daughter has 2 of my cars in Baltimore both tinted with Virginia legal. Love to hear more about MDBS.

I had to remove tint from every window, including those that see into the cargo area, in order to pass inspection. I'm in Baltimore too, and don't get me wrong: I love it here. But it's not exactly the kind of place where you want people on the sidewalk or in a back alley to be able to peek into the back of your car.

Thanks for the info, Paul. Looks like it may not be quite as bad as I thought. That price was for the actual panel glass and not the triangle glass on the back door.

I'm glad to hear that you may be able to get your problem fixed. I think Lexus dealers are the best in the business, but for some reason known only to the "Crapy Service god", one pops up and completely blows the rep of other dealers. I would encourage you to go to Lexus.com and let them know about your experience with the dealer.

Paul

tintlaws.com

Maryland allows a tint on all windows (except windshield) that must allow 35% or more of the light to pass. That is a pretty dark tint. Virginia allows 50% on front sides and 35% on backs. NY is at 70% and in NJ you can't apply tint to front sides at all.

My dermatologist suggested (after looking at my left arm) that I have the windows tinted. Regardless of the %, most of the UV light is filtered out. All of my vehicle windows are tinted to Virginia legal. Best move ever.

Say what you will about Lexus dealers but in my opinion they are overpriced and incompetent. I doubt Lexus cares anyway. Toyota dealers charge much less and actually do the work you request. My opinion remains the same, stay far away.