Locked Trunk Without Key.

wonderbread

Alright, I made a dum dum.

I just bought a 96 LS400 in..."well, he accepted $1100 for the thing" condition.

PO lost the key and instead of getting a new one he got a new ignition and matching key (without any remote function).

So yesterday I'm playing around and push in the button with the lock on it and then immediately hate myself as now the trunk opening button doesn't work. No big deal just put the key in and unlock it right? well the new key doesn't work on the trunk lock on the outside or that button with the lock on it inbetween the trunk and gas cap buttons (if you don't know what I'm talking about i'll find a picture).

Is there any way I can get into the trunk now or am I screwed till I get around to getting a working wireless fob for this thing?

Remove the panel on the drivers side where the trunk and tank release levers are and close the circuit with a piece of wire and the trunk will opened right up. When you pull the lever it makes the contacts touch sending power to the switch which opens the trunk, but when you press the keyhole in it slides something in there that prevents you from doing this.

• Like 1

I see no one else jumped in to answer and I think I know why. The answer in my opinion is yes

I've done so many stupid things over the years that I feel your pain. I don't remembet such a lock on my 90LS

Staying home. Got my wife out of Boston a few days ago to escape snow but it followed. Everything closed and it is a mess. Luckily, if I do go out I have that Silverado with new snow tires. Can't get to Boston in the Winter without them.

Thanks for the solution guys.

...I made another dum dum (or the car did?)

I had it jacked up and the battery disconnected while I was doing some work. Nothing electrical was touched just felt it was best practice to disconnect it.

after I was done i reconnected the battery and now I get the turn signals on all 4 sides and some other (DRL maybe?) flashing like I have my 4 ways on, in addition the backlighting for the AC controls and radio is pulsing with them, and the security light flashes too (3-4 flashes then stops for a few seconds, repeat). the car will not start (no crank)

what the hell did i do? I called two lexus dealerships and they suggested checking all the fuses, which I did. nothing. Did the immobilizer reset (key in lock, close all doors/trunk/hood, wait, unlock door with key) to no avail.

This happened because the idiot you bought the car from took the el cheapo route.The security system works off the original key. When you put that in the ignition, it should shut off the alarm (which disables the car as well). But, since you don't have the original key... I would just bet that Lexus puts a lithium backup battery in the alarm system otherwise when people stole cars, the could just disconnect the battery for awhile.

I'm sorry I can make any suggestion other than what I would do. Find a locksmith or one of those car audio stores as both probably understand alarms. Lexus tells you to check fuses? I laughed at that. Around here they also have those Japanese import car places where the street racer people hang. I'd guess a bunch of them know alarms as well.

Best of luck and sorry about you situation.

Craig and Denny.....you guys make a super "Tag Team". Thanks for helping those of us who are "shade tree" shy. LOL

Gary, while I was reading your description of your cars status, lights blinking, 4-way hazard lights blinking around and around,....made me stop and remember the last time I say a display like that was "E T". "Go home now!!!!"

Found the problem.

Goddamn I hate aftermarket alarm systems. took an hour of tracing down terrible splicing of wires into...everything. ECU, trunk and gas cap openers, ignition, etc.

http://imgur.com/Ik8hVRO

Now, as to why the PO put an aftermarket alarm in a car that comes from the factory with an alarm system...I hate people.

This use to happen to me when I had the 91LS. I Moved out of town to a new job for a couple of years and left the car with my uncle. He decides to put an aftermarket alarm on the car. I moved back after 5 years and got the car back, sometimes I would park but when I went to start the car nothing would happen. I could never figure out what the problem was since it would start after letting it just sit for 30-60 minutes. This happened several times before I found the alarm and ripped it out. I never had that problem again.

We very seldom have any problems with member guidelines that are listed in the guide lines for all members as they register.

Just as a reminder, language or attitude and general courtesies are part of the guide lines for member postings and general items that help keep our club fun and enjoyable for all.

Paul

Alarms in general are a pain. Sometime horns are as well. I had a Cadillac that would set the horn off whenever the temperature dropped below 19F. I really enjoyed trudging outside at 3:00AM to pull the fuse.

As for cussing and such. Personally, I love the stuff but as Paul said, this is a respectable place and we all try to at least appear that way. As an old teacher of mine would say "If you want to Dam something, find a river."

All that aside, very happy you found the problem. The things people do to cars is insane sometimes. My neighbors kid put an obnoxious alarm on a POS Dodge Neon. Why?