2000 Gs300 Vacuum Switching Valve

Hi all,

My engine light has been on for a while and today I used a wifi odb dongle ran diag and it gave me a code "P0446 - Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit",

After calling couple shops they suspect its the evap cannister vent valve.

1) is that the samething as Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) ?

2) I would like to do it myself and wonder if any of you have instructions that could help me on this?

Thanks all!

I personally hate codes but since you seem to have one, I found this link that should help. (brief here, more on link) Good luck and let us know.

http://engine-codes.com/p0446_toyota.html

Possible causes
- Missing Fuel cap
- Incorrect fuel filler cap used
- Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
- Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- Vent control valve harness is open or shorted
- Vent control valve circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty vent control valve

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0446_toyota.html#ixzz3QeHxsp00

Oh yeah, thanks for joining Simon. Lot's of people here to help. I have saved hours of time, boatloads of aggravation, bunches of money, and eliminated the feeling of being alone with problems. So please hang around if only for the entertainment. Car people are .... different.

Thank you. This is a great community!

I can rule out the gas cap, I already tried that before I ran the diag.

I'll check the hose and possibly replacing the VSV.

do you guys recommend replacing it with the Genuine Toyota part or a 3rd party?

Genuine part - $70
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-90910-12271-Vacuum-Switch/dp/B00GJJL2CG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422932461&sr=8-1&keywords=90910-12271

3rd Party - $28
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-911-602-Vacuum-Switching-Toyota/dp/B003P9US2I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422932461&sr=8-2&keywords=90910-12271

Is there a service manual that shows you how to do this? I'm very novice when it comes fixing cars, the youtube video in your link wasn't too detail on taking the canister out

I like Toyota parts but for that difference? easy choice $28 There is another Lexus Technical website that I wish I could remember the name to but there are excellent videos which I have used. By the way, I started here when I bought my first Lexus from my friend who bought it new. Sweet 1990 LS400, pearl white. My wife drove it for a few years then I drove it for several more. Very fast car, much MUCH faster than my new 14 IS250AWD. Sold my baby to my neighbors son so I still see it and do the oil changes and such. Has over 200,000 on it now but still remains the best car I ever owned.

Bought a 2004 ES330 of lease at the Lexus place in 2006. Still have it and my daughter uses it now.Bought it for my wife to replace the LS400 which she loved, but she never liked the ES330. According to her description, "the car doesn't drive nearly as nice as the old one" to which I replied ahhhh. She drove it for a long time until I got her the RAV4 in 013. She hated my Miata which I had for fun so I sold it to another friends son (yes, I take a beating on selling cars) but I bought the IS to replace the Miata so nobody is unhappy.

From my perspective here is what you need. First, a PLACE to work on the car, 2nd, tools, Third, friends who can help, and 4th, nerves. When you only have one car (and I have been there), it is really difficult to do work because if you need a part and you don't have somebody to drive you, agh. Oh yeah, know all about that. Because of that in the past I now keep at least 2 working vehicles around (or friends) to make it work. If not, you need to be a previous Boy Scout (as I was) and Be Prepared. Even simple jobs go south quickly as I Know.

Go slow and research. The time you spend preparing will pay rich dividends.

I'll keep up Simon.

Denny