Warranty Expiration

The comprehensive warranty (4 year/50,000 mile) on my 2000 will be expiring within the next couple of weeks, as I am quickly approaching the 50K mark. Is there such thing as a "Pre-Warranty Expiration Inspection?" Should I take the car to an independent, non-biased mechanic? Is there anything specifically that I should have looked at before the warranty expires? Any idea what this might cost at the dealership? I'm not having any problems with the car, I just want to make sure she's in tip-top shape before she's on her own.

Should I take the car to an independent, non-biased mechanic?

Yes. Absolutely take it to an independent mechanic, but make sure it is one that you trust that will be honest. Tell him that you are considering buying the car and you want him to look it over with a fine tooth comb to make sure nothing is wrong with it before you buy it.

Have him check all of the belts, gasket seals, hoses, etc. Check the CV boots, steering and suspension. Make sure there are no fluid leaks, etc.

Once the mechanic has given you his diagnosis, take it to Lexus and have them look at the problems he finds. True, you will have to pay for the independent review, but at least you will know that Lexus didn't "accidentally" overlook something that should be covered under warranty.

Also, if there is anything that is bothering you or some small issues that you think should be covered (i.e. electronic issues, creaks, rattles, etc.) even if they are not full blown - bring these to the attention of the Lexus service writer and have him make a note on your account & svc ticket so they will be covered under warranty if they develop into something later.

I couldn't agree more. I am in the same boat as you byo.....check also for loose trim or things that might need an alignment suck as the door/window area, (my front passenger door needs adjustment....might have something to do with the fact it's a frameless window), hood & trunk. It would be money well spent for sure to get the independent mechanic to have a look at the car first! Is it possible to purchase a "Lexus" extended warranty from your dealer at all or is it too late? Just courious.

:cheers:

Ahhh I just got my pre-inspection 100K done, and as of right now they will not fix any interior trim issues. I smelled buring oil and had them check the engine. The mechanic told me that nothing was wrong. He then told me that there were no service extentions on any engine or exahust issues with my 1997 Lexus ES 300. And if anything goes wrong that it is on my dime. I pulled the :censored: flag out. Thankfully I have a clue and Called the 1-800-255-3987 (press 4 for Lexus corporate customer service). They agreed with my flag and have noted it on my file so that if anything does go wrong that they will cover it. I also am paying for an indenendant inspection next week to ensure that dealer mechanic did not miss anything else. And sending that to the Headquarters. I personnaly hate the Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, Virginia. They have cruddy customer service, and less than a clue....point comes down to don't just take the dealer's word for it Get the second opinion.