How To Remove Panel

nowers

nowers,

First off, the side panels are one of the last pieces that come off the center console of any car. Typically the center console pieces disassemble from the top down. That means, you need to pry the center dash vent section free first, then the nav/radio/HVAC surround next, the gear shift surround, then the arm rest/console storage area, and finally the side panels. But you may not need to go that far.

I will confess that I've not had the need to remove the center console on my wife's latest ES, but I have done many others on many makes over the years. Using a flat bladed screw driver taped with masking tape (to prevent marking the panels) pry the sides and top of the vent panel until it pops out. It will only come out so far until you reach around behind the panel and disconnect the wiring connectors to the security light, etc.

Then you can see if the HVAC/NAV panel has screws at its top, or needs to be pried out the same way. Once its out, you'll see the screws that hold in the Radio control section. Undo the 4 screws to this unit, pull it part way out, reach in behind and unplug the 2 or 3 wiring harnesses and the antenna wire, and remove it from the dash.

You may well be able to reach the wiring on the cigarette lighter at this point, and not need to pull any more panels. If more need to come off, just keep going with the same program. The gear shift surrond generally comes off first before its woodgrain companion, if you need to go this far.

The point I'm trying to make is, if you've done this type of work before, go for it, but go slowly. I wouldn't hesitate to do this on my wife's car, because I've done so many and I know the tricks. If you have not, maybe you're better off getting a Lexus tech to do it for you. Once you break or scratch one of the console panels, it'll be the eyesore that you'll see everytime you get behind the wheel.

And one of those panels as a special order part from Lexus costs like gold. Good Luck!

Thank you very much. It worked for me. By the way, it will be a cold day in Hell when I go to a Lexus dealership for anything not covered under warranty. My wife takes care of that just fine.