Vin & Certification Label Data

I recently purchased a used black 1999 GS400. Had the dealer order me new keys (one master, one sub and one flat key). Keys came in, but cut did not match the existing master key that works all locks. Upon further investigation discovered that dealers data indicated that per my VIN, the car should be white. My car shows no sign what so ever of having been repainted. The key and locks show wear consistant with 5 years of age and do not appear to have ever been replaced. The Certification Label calls for a paint code of KK9. Dealer has never seen code KK9 and states that all body color codes he is familiar with are numbers only. All VIN numbers I know to check match (door tag, certification label, under windshield cowl tag.) All other information matches. Does anyone know what is paint code KK9? Has anyone had a similar problem? Anyone have experience with Lexus VIN info being incorrect?

Good question. So far it hasn't cost me a thing since the keys didn't fit. The first time I called my "local" Lexus dealer (75 miles away) they said the master would be $232.00 or $248.00 and the valet key $71. At the time I had not yet bought the car and was just seeing what replacement keys would run. Once I bought the car I called back to order the keys. A different "parts guy" quoted me a lower price at that time and I told him to order them. I wrote the exact quote down at work, so I can't tell you today exactly what he quoted. Once I return to work I will post the amounts he quoted.

Also note that they wanted $50.00 extra to progam the keys. I have bought all the manuals, so I plan to program them myself and I told him so. He immediatly came back with "we could probably do it for $36.00 do you still want to do it yourself?" The nerve!

My advice - Shop around and get to know your parts guy(s) at you Lexus dealer. I had a friend that worked at Dodge dealership parts counter tell me that they would charge what they felt like charging.

This is my own experience... I called the local GM dealer parts warehouse and was quoted by "Bob" $15.00 for a special bolt that I needed for my 442. When I walked in, I saw "Bob" but went up to "Jim's" counter instead. I asked "Jim" how much for the special bolt? His answer - $2.75.

Wow!! thanks for the advise...Thats some sh@#!!

People are always trying to get over.....

Did you end up programing the keys your self and if so was it hard??

Where and how much did the "program manual" cost?

On another forum i had read ON THIS WEBSITE you can program it by puttingthe key in doing some little steps then entering the new key and doing somemore steps ect ...bla,bla BUT I DO WOUNDER IF IT REALLY WORKS~~

Thanks