Towing A Camper With A Lexus Rx 350

I am a new member of this site, so here it goes. I love my 2009 RX 350 Pebble Beach Edition and I also like to travel. I bought it used last year and I have taken several road trips with it! I want to purchase a small pop up camper so I can venture to several national parks without spending a fortune on hotels. My RX 350 did not come with a towing package and all those I have spoken with have told me that I cannot equip it now to tow a 2000 lb camper. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this? I don't want to trade in my Lexus, but I really want to travel more.

Who told you that your RX can't be equipped for towing? A tow hitch could have been added as a dealer installed accessory so I don't know why you could not add it now if the accessory hitch is still available. If it is not available, you can buy a hitch from the same company where I bought a hitch for my 2000 LS400: www.etrailer.com

Etrailer currently has three 3,500 pound hitches for your RX but I should tell you that the much more expensive Lexus accessory hitch looks a lot better and comes with a wiring harness which would have to added if you bought a hitch from etrailer.

I doubt that you would need a transmission cooler for your RX. I don't think a transmission cooler is part of the 3,500 pound towing package being factory installed on the Toyota Sienna I ordered last Tuesday and it's drive train appears to be the same Camry-based drive train that the RX350 has.

I wonder what type of can opener a bear uses to open a pop-up camper? Have you ever stayed in any of the National Park lodges built during the 1930s? We have and think they are really cool.

Thanks, for the input! Your advice really helps! Actually, the person that primarily told me not to waste my time was the RV sales person himself! I guess he was looking to sell the much larger RV's than help me! I will go to the Lexus dealer tomorrow!

Thanks, again!