Start Wont Start

mgilly

My 99 ls will start , but when you turn of the engine it wont start for aleast 4-5 mins i was thinking trottlecontrol body, but cant seem to be able to remove airfilter pipe.

Any ideas

When you say it will not re-start for 4-5 minutes, does it at least crank (turn over by the starter)?

And is it consistently 4-5 minutes? What if you do not fully warm the engine, same thing?

If it will crank but not start, that is the perfect time to check for spark or fuel. At least it divides the path you must go down.

Yes it turns over, when driveing the vsc light come on and it dies for a few mins then good to go again for a while

Cant get the lrg pipe of the trottle body to give it a clean very tight with rubber glue like stuff .

My toyota machanic is out sick .

Wait...having the VSC light come on and dying is a somewhat different story from your first post. If your VSC light comes on, you need to get an OBDII scanner on your cars diagnostic port. It may contain some valuable info and point to some faulty sensor. Don't go tearing into things without more clues. You could make it worse and could cost you more time and money in the long run.

I have a '02 LS430 with 108.000 miles and just this week I have had a problem with it cranking over .When I turn the ignition switch over it clicks like a dead battery, I try again and it cranks really fast and starts right up, sometimes I will have to turn the switch 2 or maybe 3 times to get it to crank. Ignition switch ? Anybody else had this sympton ?

Pat in Texas

I have a '02 LS430 with 108.000 miles and just this week I have had a problem with it cranking over .When I turn the ignition switch over it clicks like a dead battery, I try again and it cranks really fast and starts right up, sometimes I will have to turn the switch 2 or maybe 3 times to get it to crank. Ignition switch ? Anybody else had this sympton ?

Pat in Texas

Pat, Oh yes, very common but need more detail as it is very important in determining the exact cause. Is it a series of rapid clicks when you turn the key or just a single 'click'?

No, Just a single click, then I release it . I do not turn the key off just back to the run position and then try again, yesterday it took 3 tries before it cranked up. Then the next time I tried to start it it worked the first time. Go Figure.I don't know if it showed any codes because I don't have a reader.

Pat from Texas

No, Just a single click, then I release it . I do not turn the key off just back to the run position and then try again, yesterday it took 3 tries before it cranked up. Then the next time I tried to start it it worked the first time. Go Figure.I don't know if it showed any codes because I don't have a reader.

Pat from Texas

Actually, what you have described is a fairly common symptom. The starter solenoid contacts have worn from years of use and now need replacement. In most cars, this is not big deal (an hour or so of labor). However, in the Lexus V8, the starter is mounted underneath the engines intake manifold which means you have to take a bunch of stuff off the engine just to replace the starter.

If you are a fairly handy DIY mechanic, you could probably tackle it (might take a day or two). But if you would rather not mess with it, a professional mechanic is the way to go. You will have to get estimates.

For now the engine still starts but it has fired a "warning shot across the bow" telling you to get the starter fixed soon. It could suddenly leave you stranded.

Thanks Randall, you have been a great help. One last question. do I have to replace the whole starter or is the starter solenoid only available for replacement?

I am getting a little long in the tooth and I won't be trying this at home I have a great mechanic that I trust.I hope that you have a great year.

Pat from Texas

Depending upon how many miles are on your car, you might get by with just replacing the solenoid contacts. However, if someone goes to the trouble (lots of labor) to get to the starter, it would be prudent to have the entire unit checked out and perhaps rebuilt. You might find that the contacts take care of the immediate issue only to find later that the bearings were also tired. Another teardown. Most of the cost is going to be in the labor.