Chrome Flaking Off All Four Wheels

Noticed upon on washing my 2013 GS350 (my third GS350 and fifth Lexus total) that chrome is flaking off of all four wheels. My wheels are the version known five spoke "super-chromed" wheel- beautiful but severely corroded at present. Dealer has replacement set on order, at no charge of course.

Lexus problems with the painted wheels I had on my two previous GS350's are legend, frequent and require perseverance on the owners part to get resolved, but this chrome wheel problem, according to my dealer, is unique.

Anyone else having this problem?

Can you post a picture of these wheels? Is your GS an F Sport? There is no "super chrome" wheel finish. There are two split 5 spoke options, the 18s on the premium package GS and the 19s on the F Sport, both are painted wheels and the F Sport's finish is referred to as "liquid graphite".

Lexus does not offer factory chrome wheels anymore. Any chrome wheel options that are offered by dealers are wheels chromed aftermarket, which can be a real issue with peeling and pitting. I've had 5 Lexus vehicles too, all of which have had painted wheels and have never had problems with peeling, nor do you see a lot of posts about peeling problems on forums...

.....has your wheel issues been resolved? A popular wheel coating is "powder coating" essentially a baked on process. These can be refinished. Could you do me a favor and look under the hood of your car at the front right inside wheel well. Is the Air Condition hose attached to a hose support bracket attached to wheel well. My dealer is telling me my hose does not need to be attached. I believe anything I'm told but I like to check it out. Thanks JimB

• 2 months later...

FYI. My 08 Lexus LS 460 came with Lexus option Teleos chrome wheels. Within 2 years they were replaced due to "bubbling " chrome. Two years later the replaced Teleos experienced the same problem. The car is garaged & washed regularly. Lexus is not interested now. Clearly Lexus has a wheel problem that is not shared by other companies ie. M-B, BMW or Acura/Honda.

It's unfortunate that when you produce a quality automobile like Lexus that you fall down in the wheel quality.

Ed S.