1993 Ls400 No Spark N No Start

RandySC400

So I lined up the timing belt marks with the marks on the block... Something that confused me was that the lines on the belt... The arrow pointed out away from the block...

I am a little concerned about your wording above and the method of checking the cam timing. Once the belt is on and you turn the engine over, you can NO longer go by the belt marks. Those are strictly for initial alignment. You should only be using the hard marks engraved on the cam pulleys with alignment on the block and the TDC on the crank. So, I would recheck the timing very carefully.

Landar, thanks for the info... So I may be my cam timing is off? I didn't know that there was engraved marks on the pulleys... I will check it... That has to be the problem... Thank you... I will report back once I find out... Thank you again.

That would be the first thing I would recheck is the cam timing. The engraved marks on the cam pulleys and crankshaft 0 degree(TDC) are the main concern. They MUST be exactly correct.

Here is a you tube video of the marks you should have aligned when it is all done. The video is not the best quality but should give you the basic idea. If your marks are off, you will need to start over on the belt.

Notice that many will take a white marker and highlight the timing marks...that's why they show up as white in the video. You may have to do some searching to find your timing marks but they are there. Once you find them, run some white chalk or "white-out" (whatever you have handy) along them to make them more visible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMFx6ByauFM

Landar, thanks for the video... Seeing that I am sure that my timing is off... Well at least I already know what's needed to strip down the motor again... It shouldn't be too bad since I'm not changing the water pump n the idler pulleys this time... Ugh... Can't beleive it... But it is reassuring to know that I found the issue... Definitely is the timing... Thank you so much for all the advice n suggestions you have been giving me to help me pin point the issue I am having with my car! Again many thanks... Can't wait to rip it apart again n line up those marks!! I will let you know how I make out with it... Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Well I finally got back into the garage!!! I fell on the ice a week after my last post in Janurary...and just had knee surgery! Well you were right... I stripped apart the motor to the belt... I was 180 out on the crank and aligned the cam gears... And the car started right up! I can't thank you guys enough. Your advice helped me get it back on track!! The car is running great! Time to detail the interior now! Thanks again everyone!!!

Sorry to hear about your fall and knee surgery, Randy. I hope everything heals up fine and that you are back to 'normal'.

Glad to see you got your engine running properly.

Thanks for posting the resolution to this perplexing problem.

Wow I really wonder what happened to your original belt but I'm glad that you were a very good listener and corrected the timing. landar is one of the best on this site.

Thanks for the wishes to get well... I am recovering quickly and can't wait to get back to 'normal' again... Or as close as possible!! My ideler pulley was to blame for my timing belt to brake. It just wore out and fell apart causing the belt to break. I have 250,000 miles on my car and have replaced all of the main parts now, that are known to wear out... So the motor is good to go for awhile longer! It runs great.I'm so happy to have my car up and going again. Next is to fix or replace my leaking power steering pump... Always a project or something to up grade!! Again Thank for all that had helped me get this back together and running... Your pacients and knowledge is greatly appreciated! :)