97 Es300 Window Problems

Deni

I've been having issues with my passenger window. For a little while now the passenger switch wouldn't operate the window, but the driver's side would.

It's been fine until now. Now from the driver's side I can roll the window down, but not up. All the other windows work just fine (from their respective switches and the driver's side switch). The shop is trying to charge me $120 just to diagnose it.

Could it be a battery issue? Wiring connection? The switch itself? Anyone else experience this problem and can offer a solution?

I've never removed a door panel before or messed with any kind of interior wiring, and feel a bit nervous doing it.

Deni,

First off, a 97 ES is a nice ride! We really loved ours before moving up to our 04 years ago.

From what you describe, the switches are usually the culprits. They can be cleaned, but since you've not delved into pulling door panels and changing out window regulators and motors, etc., it may be easier for you to just purchase used switches from eBay. Then have a trusted independent mechanic change them for you. The dealership is not the way to go.

Basically you pop up the trim piece that the switches are in with a flat bladed screw driver tape to prevent scratching. Once they're up, unhook the wiring harnesses (don't worry, they are all different shapes and can only be installed on the correct switch in the correct manner). At that point you can change out the switch (its either clipped into the trim piece, or has two or more screws), or try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner spray (Radio Shack, Pep Boys, etc.) and put back in for a test.

I can't be more specific since its been too many years since I had my wife's 97 apart. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Just finished wrangling w/ my driver's side window (94 es300). Here's what I learned. Factory service manual recommends replacing switch first and then focus on the window motor. I did the former but that wasn't the problem. Had to take the motor out, cleaned the bushings on the motor and luckily that was what it needed. The problem I had to start with was being able open the window but then it wouldn't go up for a day or so. And when it did move, it was real slow. I suspect a switch problem would be all or none, whereas a motor problem wouldn't as in my case.

The fact that earlier your passenger switch was obviously bad (window moved w/ driver's side switch) leads to a theory that that's still the problem.

Taking door apart isn't too difficult, but usually has a few tricks that a manual might help with. Above advice useful for switch replacement.

LL

Deni,

I should have also added that a good many Toyota vehicles use exactly the same switches that your Lexus does. That being, armed with a picture of your switches (top and bottom), a visit to a wrecker could most likely yield replacements for far less than other sources. Obviously stay within 3 years either side of your 97 to get a compatible unit. Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies!

@gbhrps - I ended up popping the switch out and giving it a cleaning - and roughing it a bit. I ended up getting the window back up in the end!

I've looked around for some replacement switches, so I'm thinking with the next check I will invest in a new passenger side and master switch. Now that I've done it once it wasn't so bad. Thanks for the tip.