Urgent Help - Lexus Ls400 Gearbox Issue

gach2

Urgently need help

i was trying to refill my ls400 transmission fluid by removing the drain bolt and refilling the fluid.

While doing so the drain nut got stuck and wouldnt come off (like it
spun but didnt come off). Started taking the sump off but gave up half
way

Anyway after this i went to reverse my car and it wouldnt reverse, it
all went foward (dont know if in gear or just lunged - the only gear
that walked was park, even in neutral the car went foward, thought this
was due to the sump being half removed)

So took it to my mechanic to get the sump removed and remove the bolt and all put back on with new oil and filter etc

and still not much difference still just goes foward, the only
difference now is that reverse feel like neutral and rest of the gears
are like drive.

my mech says the gbox needs a rebuild

Any ideas why this is happening????

You say you were trying to refill the transmission, was this due to having no fluid in there or another reason?

Before you started the work was the transmission working OK?

i was giving the whole car fluid change as the car hadnt really been driven much in past few years

and the gbox was working, though it wasnt 100%, like it took time to engage in gear (few seconds) but once in gear it was perfect

If the cars been stood and the fluid is old but doesn't smell burnt the shift solenoids are prone to sticking hence the gear change delay and now the wrong selection.

Not a difficult job to replace them,accessible once the sump pan is removed.

Transmission is Aisin A340/341 type

http://www.rostratransmission.com/transmission-solenoids-by-rostra-transmission.php

One additional note to steve2006 comments -- Rostra will only sell to dealership/distributorship, so it would be helpful if you have a friend at one of the places like Autozone, etc., who would be willing to order parts for you at no cost! Also, if your A341E internal seals are hardend, you will experience shifting problems, even if your solenoids are working properly. You can get error codes by following directons from Lexls site where the error codes are are also posted (I think 62 & 63 indicate faulty solenoids, but not sure).

p.s.: If the internal seals are failing, pressure will not be enough to actuate the valves necessary to induce shifting, and the only solution is a replacement of the seals - means removing the tranny and all the associated tasks!

Hope this helps

Another source for Lexus parts is Sewell Lexus in Dallas, TX. Sewell is a LOC approved source for Lexus parts and as such offers our members a significant discount.

Just go to sewellparts.com. When you login be sure to identify yourself as a Lexus Owners Club member.

Paul