Hid Deal

• 2 weeks later...

Magnetic,

Do you have one of these CATZ kits? I'm interested in the 4500K kit. I'm just concerned about how well the ES projectors cut the beam off. I don't want a bunch of angry people flashing me, or so obvious that I have a non-DOT legal conversion that I'm pulled over. I'd be interested in seeing some pics, Liteswap had a pic, but it was for the 5500K kit, and just a side view of the housing, not a pic of the beam pattern, or a pic of the oncoming car at a distance (to see if there are glare "halos" above the lights. If the projectors cut the lights off, I will just make sure they're aimed low. If there are halos, then I will have to reconsider.

And btw, I do plan on donating to the charity. I lost somebody close to me to lymphoma, so this would be a win-win way for me to upgrade my car and give to a charity that I believe in.

Thanks for the link, Zeta. :)

I now may may end up replacing my wheels instead of upgrading my lights. I've got slow leaks in two of my wheels (lose about 10PSI a month), whereas my SilverStars seem to be getting the job done in the lighting department. Cutoff does look pretty good, I must say. I'll keep my options open.

That's a good question, Zeta. The tires are 205/65-15 Michelin MXV4 Plus mounted on the stock split 3-spoke 1996 rims (tires have about 15K on them). There's a lot of sidewall on those, so bending a rim is not my inclination. In addition, visual inspection by myself (for the outside of the rims) and by the mechanics at the dealership during the rotations produces absolutely no indication of any bends. On two separate occasions (during my 80K and 85K services) the dealer dunked the worst tire (front left at 80K, which was the rear right at 85K), and found no leak. I don't know if bad valve stems could be a culprit.

Back to the original topic, I wish I could check out one of these retrofits in person. I know plenty of people with superwhite halogens, and a few with factory HID, but nobody with a true HID retrofit.