2013 Rx-350 Feature Questions

RhoXS

In 2005, we purchased a very low mileage 2002 CPO RX300 and were very happy with it. As a result of this exceptionally good experience we purchased a new 2009 RX350 but this time we have been very unhappy with it. Although the RX350 has less than 65,000 miles on it and is still in show room perfect condition, I just want done with it. I want to seriously consider a 2013 (along with another make) and have the following questions, all of which relate to reasons that made a significant contribution to our less than acceptable opinion of our 2009 RX350. The nearest Lexus dealer is about 40 miles from where I am temporarily living so it is not convenient to just stop in and look at one.

1. How does it handle? My RX300 handled reasonably well but the RX350 just sucks. It has an unacceptably soft bouncy ride and it does not corner well at all. In corners it does not feel solidly under control and leans much too much, even understanding it is a crossover SUV. The ride is unpleasantly reminiscent of my Dad's old Buicks and Cadillac's from the 1950s and 1960s.

2. What is the quality of the interior materials? My RX300 had what appeared to be high grade soft supple leather. The RX350 has leather that is hard and rough to the touch. The 2009's interior is just not as nice or apparent high quality as the older 2002 model.

3. Navigation System: We keep a second Garmin GPS on the dashboard so we can search for POIs (mostly restaurants & hotels) without stopping. To say this does not really annoy me would be an understatement. Do the new models allow someone in the passenger seat full access to the Navigation System? This, by itself, is a go or no go feature with respect to considering a new Lexus (My 2011 BMW X3 does not have this limitation).

4. Rear window defogger: This is a minor but annoying thing; it automatically turns itself off after 15 minutes or so. Does it still do this? My X3 stays on until I manually turn it off or turn the ignition off. I do not have to continually restart it AFTER I notice the window fogged up again on humid summer days or ice reforming in winter.

Please don't misunderstand me. The RX350 has proved to be overall an excellent car and is a wonderful Interstate Queen allowing long road trips with great comfort and ease. However, I want a vehicle that will be just as enjoyable, within reasonable limitations realizing it is an SUV, on other than Interstate type roads. The 2002 achieved this balance. Nevertheless, I am not willing to purchase another one with the limitations commented on above, especially when my X3 shares none of them.

• 4 weeks later...

In 2005, we purchased a very low mileage 2002 CPO RX300 and were very happy with it. As a result of this exceptionally good experience we purchased a new 2009 RX350 but this time we have been very unhappy with it. Although the RX350 has less than 65,000 miles on it and is still in show room perfect condition, I just want done with it. I want to seriously consider a 2013 (along with another make) and have the following questions, all of which relate to reasons that made a significant contribution to our less than acceptable opinion of our 2009 RX350. The nearest Lexus dealer is about 40 miles from where I am temporarily living so it is not convenient to just stop in and look at one.

1. How does it handle? My RX300 handled reasonably well but the RX350 just sucks. It has an unacceptably soft bouncy ride and it does not corner well at all. In corners it does not feel solidly under control and leans much too much, even understanding it is a crossover SUV. The ride is unpleasantly reminiscent of my Dad's old Buicks and Cadillac's from the 1950s and 1960s.

2. What is the quality of the interior materials? My RX300 had what appeared to be high grade soft supple leather. The RX350 has leather that is hard and rough to the touch. The 2009's interior is just not as nice or apparent high quality as the older 2002 model.

3. Navigation System: We keep a second Garmin GPS on the dashboard so we can search for POIs (mostly restaurants & hotels) without stopping. To say this does not really annoy me would be an understatement. Do the new models allow someone in the passenger seat full access to the Navigation System? This, by itself, is a go or no go feature with respect to considering a new Lexus (My 2011 BMW X3 does not have this limitation).

4. Rear window defogger: This is a minor but annoying thing; it automatically turns itself off after 15 minutes or so. Does it still do this? My X3 stays on until I manually turn it off or turn the ignition off. I do not have to continually restart it AFTER I notice the window fogged up again on humid summer days or ice reforming in winter.

Please don't misunderstand me. The RX350 has proved to be overall an excellent car and is a wonderful Interstate Queen allowing long road trips with great comfort and ease. However, I want a vehicle that will be just as enjoyable, within reasonable limitations realizing it is an SUV, on other than Interstate type roads. The 2002 achieved this balance. Nevertheless, I am not willing to purchase another one with the limitations commented on above, especially when my X3 shares none of them.

1. Gen3 RX350's handle much better than the Gen1 and Gen2. I have the a Gen 2 04 rx330 and a gen 3 10 rx350. My RX350 handles like a car and is VERY fun to drive on the highway taking corners. I really the gen 3's, more nimble and again tuned for more driver enjoyment.

2. If you get the ultra premium package then the leather is very soft and supple. If not, then the leather is a bit harder. Overall, build quality of the interior is great, but nothing like the gen1 rx300. As time goes by, costs go up and blah blah, so the cars nowadays don't have the same quality interior as the 80's and 90's Toyota out there. But the interior on the new IS and GS is a huge turnaround than previous. I do like the interior of the Gen3 more than the gen2, but still a bit plastic imho.

3. Still cannot adjust regardless what seat you're in when the vehicle moving. Lame!!!

4. Still timed.

Hope this helps.