Replacing Cruise Control Switch

Georgenpat

I just acquired a 1999 LS 400. The cruise control will turn on but will not engage. The stem can be twisted so I suspect it is broken. I have searched but have not found anything that can help me. How does one gain access to the steering column where the switch is mounted? Any info would be helpful.

Turn your steering wheel half around and you will see two screws, remove them and one under the housing and snap them off. But if you could not find them, I would be careful on your further progress.... Have you searched? or are you just looking for help?

I was searching around and was afraid I had to remove the steering wheel. I located the cover screws last night and now it looks like it might be a straight forward replacement. So basically I was looking for a little guidance and will post after I actually dig into it a bit.

Thanks for the reply!

I am in Midland. Turns out that I must have looked at it sideways as the cruise stalk is part of the steering wheel. I can remove the two access pieces and see one torx screw on each side. I am guessing if I remove those I am able to remove the airbag? I think I saw somewhere someone said disconnect the battery? Anyone have guidance on removing the airbag?

What gremlins get unleashed when the battery is reconnected?

Actually the airbag will need 90 seconds no power before removal

WHO KNOWS.................. not being smart, just cant imagine.... no need to say "be careful"

too far, I am in Dallas area, called Carrollton. thought I might come and watch....

CHECK THIS: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/633142-removing-steering-wheel.html

Looks like Billy gave you everything you need but here is page RS-14 from the 2000 LS400 manual.

It's not a problem to disconnect/reconnect the battery - that is standard procedure when working on anything electrical.

rs-14.pdf

Thanks for the replies and the links, very helpful. I found a cruise control switch on line so it looks like it will be a week or so before I dig in on this. Sounding more straightforward. I'll be back!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got time to replace the cruise stalk. I disconnected the battery and removed the covers from the steering column and side of the wheel. I loosened the 2 torx screws and lifted out the air bag/pad assembly. Disconnected the spiral cable and computer mode function connectors and then decided the steering wheel needed to be removed. I removed the nut holding the wheel and pulled the wheel from the splined shaft. Yes, it all happened that quickly, probably 10 minutes to get the wheel in my lap.

I wrestled the cruise stalk out, it appeared the lever had been forced up and the case became unsnapped. I snapped it back and all looked well but I already had the replacement part. I installed and then realized I had not taken pictures, I set the wheel back on and tightened it up and had caught the spiral cable wires under the wheel. So, I again removed the wheel and this time, I pulled a little too hard and the spiral cable connector caught on the wheel and both wires pulled out of the spiral cable assembly.

Good news is the cruise control works, the bad news is I have a new dash light present. I am going to search replacing the spiral cable as it looks to need several turns prior to installation. If anyone knows, please post instructions. Next chore is to find a spiral cable assembly. Oh well, it was almost a great day!

I finally got time to replace the cruise stalk. I disconnected the battery and removed the covers from the steering column and side of the wheel. I loosened the 2 torx screws and lifted out the air bag/pad assembly. Disconnected the spiral cable and computer mode function connectors and then decided the steering wheel needed to be removed. I removed the nut holding the wheel and pulled the wheel from the splined shaft. Yes, it all happened that quickly, probably 10 minutes to get the wheel in my lap.

I wrestled the cruise stalk out, it appeared the lever had been forced up and the case became unsnapped. I snapped it back and all looked well but I already had the replacement part. I installed and then realized I had not taken pictures, I set the wheel back on and tightened it up and had caught the spiral cable wires under the wheel. So, I again removed the wheel and this time, I pulled a little too hard and the spiral cable connector caught on the wheel and both wires pulled out of the spiral cable assembly.

Good news is the cruise control works, the bad news is I have a new dash light present. I am going to search replacing the spiral cable as it looks to need several turns prior to installation. If anyone knows, please post instructions. Next chore is to find a spiral cable assembly. Oh well, it was almost a great day!

I just found this:

Basic removal steps, as shown in the links of your other thread, are: 1) remove airbag (two torx screws and cable connector to front side of spiral cable assembly) , 2) remove steering wheel (17mm socket wrench then steering wheel puller), 3) unscrew spiral cable assembly with Phillips screw driver then disconnect the cable connector to the column. Done.

But, before you go through the trouble of removing it, bring a meter or other device to check continuity with you, to verify all leads have continuity from the front to back connector pins.

hope it helps..

post-5365-0-25601400-1363446829_thumb.jp

I received the cruise control stalk from an outfit on ebay, very reasonable. I called them back and they wanted $175 for the clock spring. I had seen many other Lexus clock springs at $100 or less. I have finally found one for $70.